I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Down the Length of a Reel Seat
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:36AM

Have a size 18 American Tackle Halographic reel seat. I was hoping to shorten the overal length of the reel seat, and have noted that many people have used a file to take the size down. What are your suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Down the Length of a Reel Seat
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:52AM

If you are talking about shortening the threads, I use a band saw. You can pretty much use anything. Wrap a piece of masking tape around it as a cutting guide and just sand the edges. Make sure that you can remove the reel

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 11:53AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 12:03PM

Jay,
Any type fine toothed saw will cut off a reel seat. You can also use an abrasive wheel.
After cutting the end of the reel seat, you will likely want to use a sanding disk, sanding block, or belt sander to give a nice smooth end to the raw edge of the trimmed reel seat.

p.s.
Don't make the mistake of cutting too much off the reel seat.

Take the largest reel that you might reasonably put on the reel, open the reel to allow for an easy installation of the reel, and then add about 1/4 inch. This will give you a nice safety factor to allow ease of reel installation as well as reel removal.

It is an unhappy moment when you finish a rod - go to mount the reel of your choice and find that it won't fit.

Don't ask me how I know!!

Take care
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 01:26PM

Roger is soooo right !
I just cut one too short, I think. The 750 series spinning reel that I used to check the length works fine , with plenty of room. Another one I have just barely wont fit. Luckily it has an EVA for grip, so I can cut a short shoulder around the for grip so the nut will go a little bit further up the rod. Only need about 3/32 " more room.
I usually cut them off with a dremel and wafer blade then file the end with a fine cut file . No problem getting a square end.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 02:39PM

I put a wrap of tape around as a guide and trim it on the lathe with a parting tool.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2009 03:49PM

Removing 1/2 inch improves the appearance of the seat and still leaves enough opening for nearly any typical casting or spinning reel you'll run across.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 04:03PM

Jay,
If you did cut a reel seat just a bit short, you can often live with it, by inserting one foot in the non adjustable portion of the reel seat before dropping it into the adjustable portion of the reel seat.
This will normally buy you about 1/4 inch of extra room.
This is how I am able to use the one rod that I made the reel seat too short.
In another case, since I was way too long, but I really liked the reel and rod combination , was to trim the foot on the reel and thin down the seat and repaint the seat.

Every now and then, manufacturers bring out reels with an extremely long or extremely short reel foot.

As years go by, a favorite rod might see many different reels placed on it. So, builder beware and don't build a rod so that only a single reel can ever fit on the rod.

Often, a new reel will come out that will really improved the overall fishability of a rod, that one really needs to make the switch to the different reel. So, be aware that many rods outlast their reels by many years.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 06:46PM

This rod is a gift and of course a surprise. The guy doesn't have a reel for it yet. Hopefully he will get one with a short enough foot so I won't have to make any modifications. The Shimano reel I used to set it up has a short foot compared to some others I have.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 08:33AM

two things you could do, don.t trim the seat so as to make sure any reel fits, or you can modify any reels feet to fit the seat if need be.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster