I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bad chrome on alconite guides
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2009 11:29AM

I was prepping a couple Fuji alconite guides last night, and the chrome plating flaked off. It started where I was filing on the foot and peeled all the way off the leg. I've never seen this problem before. Did I just get a bad batch, or is Fuji quality not what it used to be?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2009 11:31AM by Curtis Trompler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad chrome on alconite guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2009 11:34AM

Contact Angler's Resources and most likely they'll replace them for you.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 23, 2009 11:42AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Contact Angler's Resources and most likely they'll
> replace them for you.

Correct, they will completely stand behind their product. I even know of an occasion when they replaced a product that wasn't Fuji ... simply because the person THOUGHT they were. Nothing but good guys.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 12:34PM

The new black coating on the Alconites which is shiny is pretty crappy. That coating doesnt' like to stick to the metal when the rod gets banged around.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 12:47PM

Bill Stevens can probably explain what the actual cause is if he sees this I'm pretty certain he will respond

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: October 23, 2009 02:52PM

I noticed on a couple of my fuji alconite concept guides that I had similar flaking that only took place during filing. It didn't worry me in the least, but Billy's post has me worried about their finish quality if they also chip from being banged around. I don't get to fish as much as I used too so the many rods I have built so far mostly with Fuji alconite guides haven't been used enough for me to notice. I would be very bummed to find out that they are of less than spectacular quality seeings as how I have put them on so many rods and built up a reserve of them equal to about 4 or 5 rods.
But so far, besides while filing, no issues.
James

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 03:13PM

The black ones aren't chipping, the finish wears off. Next tim eI go fishing I'll take pictures of the one rod I have access too which has almost no black on the outside of the frames.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 23, 2009 05:07PM

Ive never had anything but quality from Fuji and as Tom said, they stand behind their product 110%. I have had some chipping but its been my own fault.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 10:26AM

Ken P. - sometimes the pole is longer than 10 feet!

Touching this pole may prove to be dangerous to my health and well being.

In most cases the guides discussed are manufactured using "austenetic stainless steel" base metals.

One fine fine metal in its passivated state -

Rodbuilders desire different colors -

Fuji has an extremly high level of QA and QC -

Anglers Resource has proven they will satisfy the market with customer service and quality -

Chrome plating requires a "primer" coating before the application of the chrome surface application -

Lots of steps involved in the manufactureing process and snafus in rare cases are possible -

Fuji and Anglers have and will continue to handle all problems in a very professional manner -

Send them to the attention of Mr. Paul at Anglers Resourse LLC, 400 E. Section Ave, Foley, Alabama 36535 - you will get an immediate reply.

It is also interesting to note that Anglers provides advice to all production builders that guides are not to be ground to minimize the chance of breaking the "coating" barrier. You may find that your ginding raised the temperature to a level that was a direct cause of your coating failure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster