I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji ISP 16 Reel Seat Installation
Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 08:32PM

I'm trying one of these Fuji ISP 16 reel seats for the first time that is let into the rear cork grip. I don't understand how I will shim it at the rear.
Do I epoxy the rear cork section first and let it dry, then shim the front of the seat to fit and epoxy it in?
I don't see how I can provide any support to the reel seat on the part that is let in to the grip, unless the let in portion and the surrounding cork is support enough.
Do I just glue the grip at the rear to the cork and will that be enough support? It is going on a light spinning rod (Batson IP 840).
Thanks....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji ISP 16 Reel Seat Installation
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 08:59PM

Jon,
If you are talking ab out the IPSM reel seat:

[www.mudhole.com]

It is very simple.
First pick up some flex coat poly arbors.
Then, pick up the preshaped handle that will fit into the back of the handle.
Ream the arbors and handle as necessary to get a good fit on the blank.
Then, all in one glue up -

Start from the back and move to the front of the rod.
i.e. coat the blank in the handle area with glue and slide the handle down the blank to the butt of the rod.
Then, coat the blank to allow the arbors to be glued to the blank. Slide the arbors down the rod.
Then, coat the outside of the arbors and slide the reel seat down on to the handle and line up the handle with the cut out to have a nice fit.
Finally, rotate the handle and reel seat as a unit to insure that is in the correct orientation with respect to the blank.

Finally, use Alcohol to clean up the excess epoxy, before the glue sets up.
Because you will need about 5 minutes or so to get everything glued up and aligned and cleaned up, it is a good idea to use an epoxy with at least a 30 minute setup time.

This will allow you the use of at least 15 minutes before the glue will start to tack up and make clean up difficult.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2009 09:31AM

What Roger, said.

I would also add that with reel seat I have use 1 about 1/3 of another arbor to cover the full length due to the length in the back under the cork. The foam arbors are the key, IMHO. What I have done is determine the length of the arbors needed then glue up the rear grip and arbors with 15 min Rodbond. Let that - the grip and arbors setup - then Rodbond up the reel seat. This way the grip and arbors are fixed in place and easier to work with. Once assembled I wrap where the grip fits over the reel seat with surveyors tape real tight to ensure and good snug fit - of course wipe off all the glue on this joint.

Also, be careful when dry fitting and setting up the reel seat in place with the grip. The sides of the grip that fit over the recess in the reel seat are thin and could easily break.

I have built a couple of these with no problems. Very nice look and solid components.

Eddie

Posted by: Viktor Nagorny (77.120.43.---)
Date: November 14, 2009 03:02PM

Hello everybody.

I don't want to use IPS preshaped handle. My grip shoud have two burl inlays and made from FLOR.
So i need good advice, please help.

Thank's!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster