I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread
Posted by: Chris Bettell (---.ipaper.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 05:58AM

I am in the process of getting stuff together for building rods. I plan on just buying a thread assortment from Mud Hole. They have a NCP kit and the regular nylon kit. I understand the difference in the two. What would u suggest I get for a starting rod wrapper?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 06:13AM

It depends on what look you like. NCP will give you a flat kind of pastel look. Regular nylon with CP will be sparkly. Regular nylon without CP will be sort of transparent and "jewely" looking. If your wrapping fly or light spinning rods go with size "A". If your wraping big sea(offshore) rods maybe think about "D"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 08:46AM

Chris,
I understand your intent, but I am not sure that it is the best idea.
The problem with buying an assortment that unless you have a pretty good idea that you will like and use, or are requested to use a particular color - it is quite likely that much of the thread will go unused.

I don't know if you have any local sources near you, but until you get further along, it might make more sense to buy a spool or two only and then buy more when you get further along.

I personally don't like to use NCP thread simply because of its finished look. I like the look of a semi transparent thread or a thread that seems to blend into the blank. This is easily achieved with NON NCP thread.
On the other hand - if you want a wrap to stand out from the rod, and have the colors very bright and vivid - then perhaps the use of an NCP thread makes sense.

With respect to thread size - I use size A thread on about 80% of my rod builds. It is only on very heavy action, or off shore rods that I will go to a heavier thread. I use size A because first of all, it is strong enough to be used on all but the very heaviest action rods and I like the cleaner tighter look that you get with size A thread.
Having said that, I will agree that it is certainly easier to wrap with larger diameter thread. Fewer wraps and easier to keep the wraps tight with the larger sized thread. Your choice.

--
If you are far from a local supplier, then by all means pick up some different threads. However, if you are going to be mainly wrapping for your self - pick up colors that you like and are willing to live with on a daily basis.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:45AM

I agree with Roger. A few basic colors will go a long way. Black and the metallic threads will end up looking about like they do when first put on. For other colors you have to use color presevative or NCP thread to mantain the color. Double edged sword there as CP can be quirky and NCP isn't as pretty. Don't be afraid to visit the sewing dept at walmart either (try to get uncoated thread).

You might want to visit your local fishing rod stores and see what thread colors are common in your area. At one time black, red, and metallic gold (or silver) were very common down here. Before that it was yellow, red, and white (if the blank was white) or black.

Buy a few different colors in A and give it a go. Try some medium to light colors in both NCP and regular and see what the difference is when finished. For a quick idea simply wet the wrap with alcohol (drys faster). That brillant candy apple red quickly becomes a maroon/red wine color.

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.2.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 10:49AM

Good advice from everyone Chris. Just to add to Russell's comment about uncoated thread from the sewing shop. Much of the thread in sewing shops is coated with silicone to make it easy to go through the needle in a sewing machine. Silicone is a contaminant and your epoxy will not adhere proper (or not at all ) depending on the amount of silicone in the thread. The advantage to sewing shops, is that they have a much greater variety of thread colors to choose from. Any thread I use that is not specifically made for rod building, I use at least one coat of CP on it (usually two).

Enjoy your new hobby.

Harold

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 11:28AM

I think the assortments are the way to go especially in the beginning of rod building. I just purchased two of the assortments from Mudhole. I would have liked them if they were available when I first started. The unit price is better. Sure there will be some you may not use for a while but you have the opportunity to see if that combination works on the rod you are building. If you like to see what colors look like on a rod then the assortment is the way to go IMO. I get annoyed everytime I need a few items and have to pay the minimum shipping which to me doubles the cost. Better unit price and lower unit shipping cost works for me. BTW some of the thread prices at the "sewing shops" are considerably higher than Mudhole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 11:30AM by John Kepka.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.115.40.69.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 11:41AM

I've gradually migrated almost totally away from thread sold specifically for rodbuilding. If you have any type of sewing store around, look for Coates and Clarke Trilobal polyester, 40 wt. You can get a big spool, enough for many rods, for about $5. I've got perhaps 15 different colors now, and have never had the first issue with any silicone contamination.

Posted by: Chris Bettell (---.ipaper.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 12:36PM

Thanks for all the great information. I look forward to building a few rods. I intended to start building last winter but somehow time got away from me. It sounds like I should just go with regular nylon and add cp if I wan't to maintain the color. With regular nylon I would have more options.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 12:55PM

Good Morning Chris,
You've received good advice from others regarding thread although I would suggest using CP unless you specifically want the thread color to disappear or become translucent when epoxy finish is applied. I personally have not found any CP (except the finger nail polish lacquer used back in the 1960s) to be quirky. I also advise buying thread whose colors you like. If you buy an assortment, you will invariably find there are colors you don't like. Of course you can always use those for shimming reel seats, grips, and winding checks.

In terms of a rod wrapper, I would suggest not spending the money for a power wrapper until you have an actual need for one. Start with a manual wrapper. Many rod builders who have been wrapping for many years still use a manual wrapper. Many of the sponsors listed on the left stock a variety of manual wrappers. Among them I have found Angler's Workshop, Custom Tackle Supply, and Mudhole to be useful sources of tools and equipment. They will also offer you advice about which wrapper you might choose to satisfy your needs. You can also go to the Search function on the GOTO line and type in Eco Wrapper. I've looked at this one and found it promising. You can also go to the Photos section and see what other rod builders have built. Good luck and have fun.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 01:12PM

I would suggest get regular nylon and metallic. These will be used for most all wraps. Take the regular nylon and do a test on a piece of scrap, one with CP and one with out. This way you will see the difference.
Metalics are generly used for trim bands.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster