I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spinning rod on a fly rod blank
Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 06:29PM

I purshased from Bingham two Fly rod blanks (FR906-4 and FR908-4) and would like to make spinning rod from thes blanks.I'll be using these on the flats in the Keys throwing shrimp and live minnows.What is the coversion formula to convert flyline weight to to lure weight for a spinnind rod. Also should I cut these blanks down and is there a formula for that or is it based more on experiance? I'm trying to get as much distance as possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spinning rod on a fly rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 17, 2009 08:16PM

The problem is that the fly line number on the blanks isn't a part of any standard. You have no idea what distance those line weights are intended for. Thus there is no conversion that will prove to be entirely accurate. In other words, 2 different "4-weight" blanks may possess entirely different amounts of power.

If you want, try making the line number your numerator and 16 your denominator. So a "6-weight" rod in theory would be fine for throwing a 3/8ths ounce (6/16) of weight. But this is a general guide only. As mentioned above. there is no standard for what constitutes a "6-weight" or any other weight blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 08:34PM

Keith,
It is pretty simple to simply compare the flex of the fly rod blanks to many different spinning rod blanks that have a known lb test line and lure rate rating.
Just use your own good judgement to come up with the right blank for your needs.

With respect to cutting down a fly rod blank. Generally speaking the actions of fly blanks tend to be pretty slow. This is ideal for throwing live shrimp on the flats. The only thing that you need to consider with respect to cutting down the blank, is any need on your part to stiffen up the tip. If you want the tip stiffer, simply start trimming the tip. Often, a change of 1/2 inch in tip length can make quite a difference on some blanks. For other blanks, you can trim several inches off a tip before you start seeing substantive changes in the overall action of the rod.

Experiment and do some test casting.

If you want to do some experiments with tip length, simply tie a single foot guide at the tip. Then, you can simply move it down the rod toward the butt to see the effect of changing the tip length. Obviously it won't be completely exact, because you will have the un cut tip extending past the end guide but it will give you a pretty good idea - without actually cutting the tip off the blank.

I have made quite a few rods this way and I do find that if I cut - say 2 inches off the tip of the rod, I will then also cut 2 inches off the butt of the rod, simply to keep the two piece rod lengths equal.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 08:44AM

I haven't started building rods yet but "spinning fly rods " is all i fish with any more , i love the action as you dont "haul" a fish in any more you finesse it in.

i use 2 fly rods and both are stock and a shrinp and a hook will cast way out there for me.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: October 19, 2009 04:45PM

Keith, I did this same thing using a Batson Forecast 2-piece 9 ft 7 wt blank that I picked up from one of the vendors on the left for about $14. I trimmed 2" from the tip, and 4" from the butt to end up with a rod that is 8'6". I have a very short rear grip (about 4"), and paired a Tica Libra 2500 with the rod. I set it up using the New Concept system. I use it to cast unweight Zooms and gulps up onto the mud flats here in NJ, as well as really light (say 1/4 oz or less) jigs.

I am quite pleased with the rod. As someone said before, it is more finesse fishing than hauling in something using the rod fishing. I use 12 lb braid on my reel, but still have to play the fish delicately, and use lots of angles to get the fish to submit.

Now, a few years ago, there was an article in Saltwater Sportsman about using flyrod blanks as light spinning rods. The guy that wrote it is Capt. Fred Everson out of Tampa Bay, FL. I found his email address on the web, emailed him, and he answered a lot of questions for me that I had after reading the article. He was a good guy, and builds a lot of the rods that you are talking about. Give him a google, and you'll probably find the same article.

Good luck.

Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 20, 2009 12:01AM

Thanks Joe, Your rod sound much like the one I would like to build If you have time please email me. I also read a article by Capt. Fred Everson but in Florida Sportsman. Do you still have his email address? Thanks

Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: October 20, 2009 08:47AM

Keith, I just sent you an email.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster