I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing reel seat and cork grip from blank
Posted by: Gene Mahn (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 01:16AM

I used rod building epoxy to glue my reel seat and cork grip to my fly rod blank. I broke the blank and have replaced it. How do I get the cork grip and reel seat off the existing blank? Thanks for your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing reel seat and cork grip from blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 01:53AM

The grip is pretty much toast, the blank can be drilled out of the reel seat probably. Can't guarantee that without seeing the reel seat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 11:49AM

Gene,
Unfortunately, I agree with Spencer.
You can try different methods, like heating the rod with boiling water, a heat gun etc.
However, the likely hood of being able to salvage either the grip or reel seat is slim.

I have been able to salvage a couple by starting with smaller drill bits and gradually increasing the size, until all of the blank has been drilled out.
However, really tough to keep the bit straight - on a glued up handle and grip. (even with the use of a lathe)

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 17, 2009 01:48PM

The seat SHOULD be able to be boiled and removed easily enough ... as long as you used Rod Bond or similar. The cork is toast since the amount of heat necessary to loosen the grip from the blank is also enough to make the rings separate.

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 02:29PM

If you don't care if the rings separate can you still salvage the rings themselves?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 04:46PM

Not likely that you can get hot water to loosen the cork as cork is a great insulator.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 06:30PM

Gene, Cut the reel seat free of the old blank and bore it out to fit the new blank . Your arbor material is already in the reel saet.

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2009 09:09PM

I removed 2 legend elite spinning seat once. I soaked them in hot until the flexcoat arbor let loose. Then i chucked a metal reamer in a metal lathe and fed the reel seat on by hand. It worked pretty decent but it was a lot of work and the nut on the seat seemed tight afterwards. I have to say st. croix uses some extremely strong glue, i think its a 3m glue.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 02:11AM

make it easy on your self. get a new handle and seat. Build the rod. Then in your spare time you can play with the handle and seat. I have drilled seats and handles out and saved a few. They are a real pain.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 09:31AM

I agree with Bill! I rarely find it worth while to try and save handle components.

Posted by: Gene Mahn (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 01:00PM

Thanks, Guys. I'm gonna order another reel seat and grip. Makes life much easier. Do you have a favorite source for reel seats and cork grips?

I sure appreciate all your suggestions. This is really a terrific forum.

Gene

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 04:09PM

Angler's Workshop carries Struble, Bellinger, Pac Bay, Hopkins and Holloway, their own line, and probably a few other reelseats. I also like their cork.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 18, 2009 04:21PM

UNLESS you put that reel seat on with concrete or something similar ... it WILL come off. Submerge it for 15 minutes in boiling water, grab it with a thick rag and twist. POP goes the weasel. I have recovered every single expensive seat that has crossed my bench.

Posted by: gene deahl (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2009 01:16PM

I am confronted with a similar problem and you guys have been a great help. I started a 13 ft bank rod for a guy who moved away. He was a smaller guy and wanted the seat 28" from the butt. Well it is too short for most so now I have to move it to 34". It is an AFTCO ARS-4M so I don't want to damage it or the blank. It won't fit in boiling water so I guess I will try the heat gun. Any more ideas PLEASE let me know.

Posted by: Scott Christiani (---.seattlechildrens.org)
Date: March 16, 2017 07:05AM

Hey Jim Gamble, my friend suggested that this could be done. He also heard that you can put a ziplock bag over a cork and dunk it in boiling water, and you can save a cork handle as well. Have you ever tried this?

Thanks in advance :)

Posted by: Scott Christiani (---.seattlechildrens.org)
Date: March 16, 2017 07:06AM

Hey Jim Gamble, my friend suggested that this could be done. He also heard that you can put a ziplock bag over a cork and dunk it in boiling water, and you can save a cork handle as well. Have you ever tried this?

Thanks in advance :)

Posted by: Greg Plotts (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2020 08:42PM

What is the best way to remove a reel seat from a fly rod. There's a pin in the base of the seat that apparently has to be removed. What the best way to do this. Once the pin is removed, then the heat can be appied.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster