I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help clear guide wraps
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 06:06PM

I am trying to achieve the totally clear guide wraps using white silk and epoxy. My test with Gudebrod 002 white silk and Threadmaster has turned out disappointing as there are trapped minute bubbles in the silk.

I thinned the Threadmaster with Denatured alcohol not quite to "water thin."

Do I need to change thread, the epoxy, both or the process to get water clear wraps.

Suggestions appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help clear guide wraps
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2009 06:08PM

Acetone is a better solvent for that use.

I think you're going to have to use something like varnish or PermaGloss, followed by epoxy, to get what you're after.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 06:28PM

One of the most astonishing examples of "clear" thread wrap is exhibited on the Castaway, a board sponsor, Camo Rod Series. Take a look at the link and scrool down the page to view a guide on the blank wrapped with nylon thread and finished with Flexcoat products. All the Castaway staff is working a large professional fishing tournament at Lake Conroe. I will contact them on Monday and see how much detail they will release on how this appearance is obtained.

[www.tackletour.com]

Visit the Swampland site to view new products.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 16, 2009 07:01PM

Jim Gamble has had good success. Do a search - I think he described his method a bit ago. Also put some photos on the photo page if I recall correctly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2009 09:21PM

Phil,
You can use the invisible or clear nylon sewing thread to easily achieve this clear result.
Simply wrap with the clear nylon sewing thread, and coat conventionally.

Good luck
Roger

Date: October 16, 2009 10:55PM

Thanks to all for your responses. After close examination under magnification, I can see that the Thread is holding almost microscopic bubbles, I suspect it is due to the thread size and twist.

I am going to try the Perma Gloss as suggested by Tom and have some Pearsall's Gossamer thread on order in case that doesn't work.

Will advise when I have found the solution.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 16, 2009 11:24PM

The bubbles are due to the lack of saturation AND the speed of drying. Cut the finish more and stay with two part epoxy .... TM Lite will work very well. This photo is using Gudebrod 00 White Silk.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

BTW, the use of Gossamer or Naples will definitely give you the results more easily, since they are finer threads.

Date: October 17, 2009 12:24AM

Thanks Jim, what do you cut the epoxy with? Acetone or Alcohol?

Date: October 17, 2009 08:03AM

DNA ... it allows for slower drying.

Date: October 17, 2009 11:33AM

I tied Perma Gloss and it did not work. In fact it acted like color preserver and the silk remained totally white, no transparency at all.

So I will wait for the Gossamer silk.

Date: October 17, 2009 11:45AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tied Perma Gloss and it did not work. In fact
> it acted like color preserver and the silk
> remained totally white, no transparency at all.

Because in its factory state, it dries too quickly ... incomplete saturation AND air gets trapped.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 17, 2009 05:03PM

To: Jim Gamble
Can you tell me the rod coloration and the guides shown in your 10/16 listing?
thanks

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Date: October 17, 2009 08:45PM

John Repaci Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To: Jim Gamble
> Can you tell me the rod coloration and the guides
> shown in your 10/16 listing?
> thanks

St Croix SC2 Inshore and Fuji Polished Chrome Alconite.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 07:17AM

Thanks, Jim

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 11:54AM

Jim ...... are you cutting the TM lite and is so how much ........

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: October 18, 2009 02:59PM

Jim, Do you think the 00 silk will handle 30+ pound fish? I think this would look awesome on a st. croix sc4 musky rod, but im not sure about durability.

Date: October 18, 2009 03:46PM

Richard - I do cut the TM Lite, significantly.

Jason - I am POSITIVE, it will handle 30# fish - since I have caught fish over 100# using it. Silk is incredibly strong ... think parachutes and spider webs.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 10:10PM

Thanks Jim ........... but do you have any guidelines ........... do you cut it about 50% ...... 30% ......... should the consistancy be waterlike or buttermilk ......... just trying to get an idea because I was going o try it ........ Thanks in advance for anything you can share ..........

Posted by: john channer (---.228.159.33.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: October 18, 2009 10:30PM

If you're used to size A nylon, Gossamer will make you crazy. Size 100 YLI is almost as fine, but easier to work with. If you can find it in Natural it will make an absolutely clear wrap when coated with FlexCoat Lite thinned with denatured alcohol. White works,too, but is sensitive to some finishes, Diamondite makes it have a bluish haze when the finish dries that is really unpleasant, again, FCL thinned with alcohol seems to work best. I have no experience with Threadmaster, so you'll have to do your own experiments there.
john

Date: October 24, 2009 07:26PM

Finally have success! Using Pearsalls Gossemer silk and thinning the Threadmaster to water like consistency with DNA. Wraps are clear as glass!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster