I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wire Line Question
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 09:46AM

I'm in a bit of a time jam -- I'm not going to be able to get my Penn Senator spooled before I have to finish a trolling rod, and there's one piece of information I'm hoping someone here can help me out with.

I don't know anything about boat rods, and I know less than nothing about wire line. I don't even know how you connect the backing to the wire: there was something in Salt Water Sportsman last month that said something about a bimini twist, but someone else told me there's another, better method.

I'm not worried about the connection -- I'm going to let a pro spool the reel -- but I do need to know what size running guides I need, and I can't figure that out without a spooled reel. On your wire line rigs, what size running guides worked for you? Are 8s large enough to pass the backing-to-wire connection? Or would 10s, or even 12s be better? I realize that ideally I'd have a connection in front of me to test, but I'm not going to have time to do that -- I gotta finish the rod first, and get the reel spooled second. I'm not worried about passing any terminal knots -- they'll all stay outside the tip -- but I am concerned about the backing knot, and don't want to use guides that are too small. I have a hunch that 8s will be big enough, but again, I don't know anything about wire line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wire Line Question
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 13, 2009 10:45AM

The traditional setup was dacron backing with monel wire. If that is what you are using the normal connections were loop to loop or albright. The loop on the monel is a haywire and in the dacron, a back splice. I would not count on the leader being outside the guides. In fact I'd count on the guides needing to be large enough to pass a ball bearing swivel.

My knowledge is dated and things may be done differently now. I know some use stainless .....even braid and lead core.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: October 13, 2009 01:15PM

I build lots of Great Lakes wire line rods. An albright knot is the most widely used knot for splicing wire to mono leaders or backing material. Most do not use a backing material any more, just fill the reel with wire and be done. Duct tape or aggressive two sided tape will keep the wire from slipping. Usually a small 6-8' mono leader is used to the terminal end if any. Many times the wire is terminated with a ball bearing snap swivel and just hooked to a dipsy diver or flasher and run clean. I use an 8mm tip and running guides and have never seen any problems. Cores are another beast altogether, but cause way less issues than wire.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2009 06:12PM

I prefer nothing smaller than a 12 on Rods we build on 50lb wire rods used for Bunker Spoons and Parachute jigs

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 14, 2009 01:39AM

Chris, I been using PAC-BAY BBSG's on a 9ft bunkerspoon rod in these quanitys & sizes:
1#20,1#16,3#12, and 4#10 without failure.
Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ) Ps: include a roller top

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 08:48AM

Thanks, guys. I've figured out a way to get the rod spooled first, so I'm going to be able to do some testing. I'll post the final setup I use. Cheers.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2009 05:37PM

Chris, I should have also said that I was referring to Carbide guides. Carbide guides seem to have a little smaller ID than the Ceramic size equivalent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster