I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Help
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (207.58.240.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 10:06AM

Does anyone know the length of the foot on a shimano 4000 spinning reel?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 11:06AM

Mitch,
Don't make the mistake of making a reel seat too short for the typical reel.
Just because you might be making a rod for a particular reel, things change and at some time a person - yourself or a client may have a need to use a different reel on a rod.

A builder is much better to use a fairly standard length for a reel seat, as manufacturers do to accomodate nearly any standard reel foot..

The tiny amount of weight that one might save - does not equate to the amount of frustration that one has when he/she goes to mount a particular reel on a rod and find that it doesn't fit.

I have had that experience personally, and it is a bad feeling. Remember, depending on the rod - a person might have a rod for many many years and in that time it is possible to have many different reels on that particular rod.

I have a particular rod that I have this problem. ie. the reel seat is just a touch short. This was one of my very first rods that I built many years ago and it is still one of my very favorite rods. I built this rod with a shorter than average in the interest of saving a bit of weight. But, I use many different reels on this rod, depending on what and how I am fishing.
I have even gone to the extent of using my band saw to cut off a portion of a couple of the reels that I like to use with this rod, and then to grind down the foot of those modified reels to get the reel to fit into the shorter space of that reel seat.

So - be careful before you build a rod with a shorter than average reel seat.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Billy Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2009 12:22PM

My Sustain 4000 FE is 2.42 inches. My Sustain 2500 FE is 2.44 inches! Slightly longer. My Stella 1000 FD is 2.43 inches. This is according to my dail caliper.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 12:56PM

Just measured a Saros 4000F, it is 2.425in or 61.62mm.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 01:36PM

I measure roughly 2.43" for Saros 3000F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2009 01:37PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (207.58.240.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 01:40PM

thanks guys.... i dont want to make it a exact fit, but in my opinion with no foregrip on the rod it looks silly if you leave the seat the length it comes

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 01:49PM

Mitch,

I cut every one of my reel seats for the reason you mentioned and for the comfort of not having all those threads in your palm for no reason at all. I dont try to make the seat fit the reel perfectly unless I have the reel in hand. I just lock or put (if I'm using a rear seat grip), any reel in the seat and then give it a few extra threads longer just in case. The key is to make sure it fits with a little left over going on the rod, and if no rear seat grip is used, a little left over once it's locked down.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster