I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OT: does mono leader lose strength in storage
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 09:24AM

I am wondering if flourocarbon or any leader and tippet material loses significant strength while stored on the original spools. I am going through my stuff and consolidating (putting it all in one place) and am wondering if the stuff is still good. It is expensive IMO so I don't want to replace it all but I don't want to be breaking off either. I am mostly concerned with the 6 and 7 x stuff. I never get organized ahead of time for my one week in Nov in Branson so I end up buying more and end up with several started spools. I can never keep this stuff organized and I envy those fly fishermen who are organized.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: does mono leader lose strength in storage
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 09:38AM

Heat and UV are the greatest enemies of mono and flouro. IF you have been keeping it indoors and inside a dark bag, you will be good to go. Otherwise, pull on it and see what you think. Of course, the real test will be if you start breaking off fish that you wouldn't have otherwise.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 10:43AM

As Jim noted, proper storage will help. If I feel my tippet material has been around for too long I do a simple, non-scientific test. I test a piece of the tippet by slowly pulling on it until it breaks. If the break sounds/feels crisp I keep using the tippet. If the break occurs with a "thud" (not crisp), I dispose of it.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (12.77.249.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 11:44AM

I also judge it by the sheen. Older mono will look dull and won't feel as slick on the surface. Considering the cost of the entire fishing trip leader material is too small a percentage for me to take risks. One year in a dark closet is fine, two and it gets iffy. And then you have to factor in the doubt angle. If you feel you can't totally trust your gear is it going to be a problem? Would it keep you from putting that extra pressure on that "once in a lifetime fish" in critical moment?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 11:49AM

John,
Invest in a spring scale with a hook on each end. If you can get one with the max weight recorded so much the better.

Tie a loop knot in the end of the line under test and pull on the scale until the line breaks.
Compare your stored line to new line just purchased. Then, you will have a good feeling for any line change - if any.

Many folks have mono line and leader stored for years in dark cool storage with few issues. However, other folks take "new" line out of the box and have issues. Then, they find that this new line is actually line that was manufactured several years ago.

So, be aware that lines may be good or bad and it is up to you to verify - before use.

Just because the line just came from the store is NO guarentee that the line is good.

Here is a scale with a nice large dial for easy viewing.
[www.northerntool.com]

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 05:02PM

As mentioned UV and heat are terrible for Mono and Copoly....not sure about FC. I have access to the big bulk spools of McCoy and tend to stock up before Tx. season...I like to purchase only enough for one season and then restock each year. I order direct from McCoy so I am fairly sure I am getting fresh line each season.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: October 11, 2009 05:54PM

All my line - fluoro and mono - live in the bottom drawer of the fridge - lasts forever

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2009 11:19AM

Alex,

Forever is a very very very long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: October 14, 2009 04:47PM

Thank you Alex! I catch some heat from my wife for keeping my extra spools of line in the freezer. I think they do last a very long time by doing this. I have used spools that are
3-4 years old that are as fresh as ones right off theshelf. I have never had a problem with breakage of any from the freezer. But I do think that it will last a shorter period than forever....

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2009 06:47PM

If your line or leader is nylon, then along with light and heat, it really doesn't like lack of moisture. Don't keep it in the pole barn or garage, keep it in the basement. If the freezer is low humidity, and I think it is , then it's not the best place to keep nylon. If you have a copolymer which is some percentage nylon, same trend to a lesser degree. There are a few grades of nylon that are not sensitive to humidity/moisture, but I think fishing line is not one of them. Same is true of your line trimmer line-if you have had trouble with its prematurely breaking, put it in a bucket of water for a few days. I think what you would first notice is lack of knot strength since what happens is that it gets brittle. Not weak, but brittle. Simply pulling on it may not tell the whole story.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster