I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New to Rod Building
Posted by: Oscar Ramos (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: October 11, 2009 02:10AM

Need help new to wrapping and dont know where to start as far tools, books, turorials, classes the whole nine yards. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also whats a good wrapper to begin with? ie(Brand,Model)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to Rod Building
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 05:40AM

Flex-coat makes a Real nice Manual wrapper, good place to begin learning the basics,subscribe to Rod Maker Magazine and go to the Top to the Library for info. There are also several very well made DVD's to teach you the art. you can also go to Youtube and enter Rod Building

Heres a good Link
[rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2009 05:44AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 09:28AM

If you want to try just one rod first and see how you like it, you can make a wrapper out of a cardboard box with V cuts on the side. As I recall tensioner can be just a phone book. All of the stuff has gone up in cost considerably the last several years. There are also tutorials on line I believe on Mudhole. Get a couple of dowel rods sand them really smooth and give it a shot to see if you like it before you spend a lot of money.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2009 02:30PM

Get Tom's book on rod building.

Date: October 11, 2009 03:50PM

sorry but Tom Who?

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: October 11, 2009 04:19PM

I think he\'s referring to the Amato book written by Tom Kirkman titles Rod Building Guide.

Date: October 11, 2009 05:04PM

Ok i have seen that book a few times just never really picked it up. So that would be a good bigginers book?

Date: October 11, 2009 05:11PM

I also have a nother question. How do you use this rod action tool (http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/2167/cat/508/page/17)?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 11, 2009 05:29PM

That is part of the Common Cents System which you can read about at [www.common-cents.info]

Date: October 11, 2009 06:34PM

thanx i will defenatly check it out

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: October 12, 2009 12:06AM

Oscar,
I am new to rod building myself. After countless hours researching and reading posts here, reading the how too's in the library here, searching other sites, and looking up how too videos. I jumped in feet first. I built my first rod wrapping jig, order in my parts and supplies and am proud to say that I finished my first rod yesterday, after spending most of the day working on it. As for the tools you need, start out with the basics. Mudhole and many of the other sponsers here have start up kits to help get you started. I would say the most important thing to get is a drying motor, and your jig. Everything else just sort of falls into place once you get that, and dont fret too much, cause once you start getting your supplies in, you will discover you need somthing else. Local Hobby stores are a great source for some supplies and I bought a lot of my littles things this way. There is some debate on weather or not you can buy your thread from local stores, but I had good luck with it, just make sure it isnt coated with anything. I practiced my wraps on dowel rods, and even ordered in small amounts of finish epoxy to practice finishing with before starting on my first rod. Try and keep your first rod simple, dont let all the extras bury you. That was my biggest problem. I would read about inlays, weaves and such, then my mind would go into overload. start slow, and work your way up as your experience and skill grows. I am actually playing with simple lettering weaves on dowel rods, hoping that maybe on my next rod, i can weave my name in to the butt wrap. but only time will tell. Everyone here is extremly helpful, dont be afriad to ask questions. Also welcome to a new hobby/obession. It is adictive, and one you get started o that first rod..... well finishing it is a feeling I cant describe!

Bobby

Date: October 28, 2009 10:06AM

Ok here we go got the wrapper now I need the tools. Does anyone have a list of there own on tools that are essential to begin with, also what type of epoxy is used that is the most forgiving with mistakes? Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster