I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master
Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:46PM

I used the new Thread Master Lite formula for the first time 2 days ago. It went on nicely but after 12 hours the mix was still tacky. Being a rod builder for many years the first thing that came to my mine was that my measurments of equal parts might have been off.

I made absolutely sure that my mix was perfect for the second cote. However after 24 hours the epoxy on the rod is still tacky. What gives? The advertisement claims accelerated drying time. Has anyone had the same problem?

If it remains tacky I might us my Flex Cote to finish it off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 08:11PM

My experience is pretty much the same. I've done four rods with my Threadmaster Lite, and they all took a long time to cure. Thought it was just me.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 08:20PM

I had a similar experience as well. I did some tests with it and basically never bothered to put it on a wrap. It seems to be very temperature sensitive IMO. What temperature are you curing at?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 09, 2009 08:30PM

Even here in Florida it cures slowly. IMO, it is a solid product ... excellent clarity, flawless bubble release, super penetration, immaculate UV tolerance and a long "pot life". NO epoxy is perfect, all have their idiosyncrasies. I allow 24 hours between coats and 4-5 days before expecting a good cure.

If you want a product that has all of the above attributes EXCEPT for lower UV tolerance with more typical curing times ... use Flexcoat Lite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2009 09:13PM by Jim Gamble.

Date: October 09, 2009 08:31PM

Aaron did they finally cure?

John, 70 - 72 degrees.

Thanks guys.

Date: October 09, 2009 08:44PM

My initial attempts were at colder ambient temps. Since I am not about to heat the entire house for the epoxy to cure I chose to go with finishes that do not appear to be temp dependent. I keep trying to justify a drying box. I suppose if my rods were all 7 ft or less I would just build the box. I would guess that 70 to 72 should do it eventually. Good luck. All of the finishes seem to have their quirks.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 10:25PM

Try using th stuff up here in Alaska LOL. It does take some time to set.,...especially when it's -20 oustide and 60 in my room.

Date: October 09, 2009 10:51PM

Paul
What do you use for the cold workshop. My workshop is at 64 right now and will be in the mid 50's by winter.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 09, 2009 11:19PM

I was under the understanding that all lite formula epoxys had a longer cure time than high build. I use Flex coat light and Thread Master light, and they both need over 24 hrs to fully cure.

I use heat lamps to warm things up in the winter. They are cheap as dirt at any hardware store. The ony problem is that they make your power meter spin pretty good. Just clamp them above your finishing bench, at least 30'' above your rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:56AM

Tony,
It is pretty simple to get a $15 space heater and a card board box and put your drying rods inside a cardboard box. Then, you can keep the temps at 80 degrees and get a quicker cure.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:58AM

p.s.
I normally keep my house and shop fairly cool.
However for the times that I am curing a rod, I will keep the door shut in my workshop and leave the space heater turned up to maintain a temperature of about 75-78 degrees.
This gives a nice uniform cure with no hassle of boxes etc.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 02:34AM

Tony,
Epoxy finishes cure by forming crosslinked polymers. A general rule of thumb for these reactions is that an increase of ten degrees Celsius (about 18 degrees F) results in a doubling of the reaction rate. If you are curing your rod at 60 degrees F, you would need to increase the temperature to about 78 degrees F to cut the drying time in half.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 08:49AM

Tony Spinelli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aaron did they finally cure?
>
> John, 70 - 72 degrees.
>
> Thanks guys.

They did cure after about 36 hours. I will say I really like the finish. I had the room at 70 degrees. Normally, I use a drying box with lamps in it, but I moved this summer and haven't got my new shop built and set up. So I'm in the spare bedroom without any extra warmth.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 11:58AM

I have used TM lite with good success and never had it slow cure on me, BUT! I think the key to making TM lite work is the mixing process. I noticed right away (magnified head set) that TM lite took forever to mix up real real well. It took twice - three times as many stirs with a flat spatula to get the TM lite to mix perfectly. Try triple mixing the product and see if that changes it. I no longer use it for other reasons, but it did well for me months back.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2009 12:27PM

Yea I know, but I use the regular and thin a little. Drys well even in cold temps and never had any problems

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 10, 2009 04:46PM

Guys,
Thanks for all of the tips and info. 36 hours at 72 degrees did the trick. End of story.

Tony

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2009 05:36PM

I mix it with a little FlexCoat and it cures much faster and does not effect the bubble release or clarity. Works really well and cures in about 8 hours or a little less......................

Not for everyone...............but it works for me. But it does shorten the pot life a bit..........

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster