I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using a CLAG10 as butt guide in spiral wrap
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 10:57AM

I've been using a different spiral wrap strategy lately that I really like and would like to lighten up the guide arrangement even more. My first 180 guide is roughly 37"-40" from the reel based on the blank's flex and I've been incorporating low-profile double foot boat guides into a 2 guide "revolver" type setup. They are arranged so that the line touches the bottom centers of the rings perfectly when in a solid fish fighting position. The butt, the next guide, and 1st 180 average 9"-11" in between. These low-profile boat guides are 14mm for the butt and 12mm for the 2nd guide.

The CLAG single foot running guides come as large as 10mm and I was wondering if I could use a 10mm butt and maybe two 8mm CLAGS in a revolver type 3 guide transition to the 1st 180 guide with that same 20" span? The rod will be for back bouncing for Salmon but I'm concerned the sf CLAGs may "flatten out" under load. Once again, fish fighting is my main priority - not casting distance. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using a CLAG10 as butt guide in spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2009 11:14AM

Wrap one in place and load the rod to the same extent that you expect to do in a real world fishing situation. Note whether or not the guide flattens out.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 11:34AM

Those guides are not very stout. But the only place you might run into trouble would be on the butt guide since its up top. I would either do what Tom suggests or wait for someone that has used them in that same location on an equally powerful blank to confirm if they will hold up or not.

My one other thought is that a double foot guide at the butt guide location is not going to add enough weight that you would ever know the difference. I would probably use the dbl foot and disregard the very teeny tiny weight difference for peace of mind in terms of long term durability.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2009 12:00PM

I was checking my inventory and I do have a SIC titanium frame TLSG10 guide. Aren't the titanium frames stronger than the steel CLAG frames? Thanks.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: October 09, 2009 07:06AM

you will be fine, i built 2 spiral wrapped rods for a trip i took to port hardy BC this past july. Both rods caught many good sized chinook and the only double foot guides on either rod was the butt guide. One rod used blag guides and the other clag. I did manage to slightly bend 1 of the clag, but it wasnt while fishing, it was while putting the rod in a pvc rod tube. Quick push with the thumb and it was right back where it belonged. I used #10 clnag butt guide then #8 clag bumper and then #6 for all the 180 guides. I couldnt have been happier with the performance of the rods. I really think you could probably use a clag as the butt guide also, i just used what i had on hand at the time. Do like tom suggested and string up a rod and feel the vertical tension near the butt guide with our free hand. Its not really that much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster