I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting Tools for Cork
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: October 07, 2009 02:39PM

Has anyone used traditional lathe cutting tools on cork to keep grips "in the round"?

I saw some threads that mentioned using a block and I do that as well as using some standing sticks developed for making plastic models. I was curious about cutting tools that would be suitable on soft cork. Especially since I have two cork blocks that I know cannot become round by virtue of sanding. (Please don't ask how I know this)

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting Tools for Cork
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 02:43PM

Round nose scraper

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2009 02:59PM

Cork doesn't take cutting well. Scraping is better, or at least easier for most. You want to keep the scraping device at the same distance from the cylinder so that it becomes concentric to the bore. A round nose scraper is as good a tool as any. Set it on your tool rest about even with the cylinder's centerline and allow it to bite into the cork. At first, you'll notice that it's only removing material from one side of the cylinder. Keep going a little deeper on each pass and as soon as you're removing cork all the way around the cylinder you're ready to switch to sandpaper for shaping and sanding.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 03:47PM

Tony,

I use all my "wood cutting" tools on cork. Long as they are sharp and you turn at higher speeds it works great for me. I dont know all the names of every tool, but I have 2 sets of tools, large set and a smaller pen turning set that work wonderfully. Right or wrong, to square my work (make it round to match the bore) I use the sharp flat blade like tool that is about 1" wide. Go slow and easy and stop/check often. Leave room for sanding, dont ask me how I know that either! :-)

The Surfoam file usually gets things round as well, being metal and flat.

Sandpaper alone will never make something "round", you can wrap it around a FLAT wooden block and do fairly well.

DR

Date: October 07, 2009 04:43PM

Thanks for the new term "round nosed scraper".

Regarding all other "cutting tools". Can I say this is true - that my cutting tool could be a flat file or block of wood wrapped in sand paper? That as long as I use the tool rest and lay the flat surface of the "cutting tool" on the rotating cork, this will true the cork to round?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 04:52PM

Yes the flat block of wood with aggressive sandpaper will get you dang close to round when held properly. That's what I started with years back.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 06:43PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 04:52PM

Yes use the tool rest as your pivot point. Dont worry about what it looks like just getting running concentric.

[www.solwaycustomcomponents.com]

Date: October 07, 2009 05:01PM

Thanks to all who replied

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.92.102.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 09:31PM

can you use round nose scraper on eva?

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:26AM

I have found that one of the best tools for shaping cork is an old horseshoeing rasp.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 08, 2009 08:22PM

Ridge , I would not use a round nose scraper on EVA. I use course sandpaper, 50 grit, then I use Dry Wall screen to get it down to where I want it. Finish it with a fine grit Dry Wall screen. Or I will use 240 or finer grit sand paper to get the finish I want.
I think some use a flat rasp for roughing to shape also.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster