I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

warrantees
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 06, 2009 06:52PM

I know this has been discussed, but I just did a search for warrantees, and came up with nothing. I recently started selling the rods I build. The first rod I sold was early this summer. I just got "the call" from the customer. He snapped the rod just above one of the guide wraps. This is a 2 piece 5'6" Ultra-light spinning rod built on a St. Croix SCIII blank. The break is clean, and not a crush type break. The customer said that the rod broke while setting the hook on a fish. The break is approx. 26" from the tip. The rod does not appear to have seen a lot of "hard use", but has obviously been used.

I never thought about giving someone a warrantee on my work, until I read about it on this list. I am now wondering if any of you that do have written warrantees would be willing to send me the spacific language you use in your warrantee?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: warrantees
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2009 07:38PM

Take a look at the warranties offered by the makers of the better commercially made rods. Most warranty their rods against actual defects in materials or workmanship. Unfortunately, many fishermen have come to think that a warranty or guarantee is against rod breakage - any rod that fails must have been defective.

As a custom rod builder who sells rods, you need to have a written warranty policy stating clearly what you cover and what you don't. Learn how to recognize breaks that are due to blank defects and which are due to customer abuse. The next issue of RodMaker will have some photos that I think you will find interesting.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 06, 2009 09:11PM

Here's mine ... I have it on my site, on my quotes AND on my invoices. However, be warned that it won't buy you an ounce of compassion when a rod breaks. They almost always want to be an exception to the rules.

XYZ Rods include a limited lifetime warranty on craftsmanship, all components are subject to their respective manufacturer's warranty. In the unfortunate event that your rod breaks, you may return your rod to XYZ Rods along with a check for $25.00, to cover return postage and handling. This warranty does not cover failure due to damage caused by workmanship of others, misuse, normal wear and tear, improper storage or accidental damage. Please remember that proper care and maintenance of your custom rod are important. In the event the problem is not covered by warranty, a repair quote will be provided.

NOTE: In no event shall XYZ Rods be held liable for incidental or consequential damages due to breach of this warranty or other warranties implied by law. Under no circumstance will the liability of XYZ Rods exceed the original purchase price of the rod, less applicable taxes.

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.sub-70-219-145.myvzw.com)
Date: October 06, 2009 10:09PM

Great post!! I also need to draft a warranty policy. I wonder if others having a policy would be willing to post it here, Like Jim. I have generally tried to work with my customers and fix any and all repairs. I have even built a couple of rods for a discounted cost (at cost but the customer did not know it was "cost"). I also tell the customer that if the manufacture replaces the blank I will rebuild it for a minimum fee. I guess you can see my need to draft a policy.

Thanks Jim.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 06, 2009 11:31PM

Yes, a policy is needed! I knew that (read it here many times), thought I'd get to it when I had time. Then I had a customer show me a rod that I built only a few weeks earlier and I was sick. I received a replacement blank from the mfgr and rebuilt it using the old guides at no cost to the customer - split grip with colored burl and a tiger wrap with decal. Live and learn. I don't know what the best policy is, but the advice I got here was have a policy and build a little cushion into each sale to cover the rare, but probably breakage.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: October 07, 2009 09:17AM

Here is what I do and it seems to stop any complaining or fussing later. 30-days unlimited warranty. I will replace any rod for whatever reason. 90-days warranty on defects in parts or workmanship ONLY. After that...... you own it no matter how many pieces you turn it into. NO warranty on anything beyond 90 days.

I tell customers that a defective rod is going to break on one of the first few trips out. If it is still in one piece after 30 days you do not have a defective rod. I often do a stress test of the rod here in my shop so they leave feeling that the rod has been loaded and tested before their eyes.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: October 07, 2009 09:42AM

Richard Kuhne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I often do a stress test of the rod
> here in my shop so they leave feeling that the rod
> has been loaded and tested before their eyes.

Exactly! This puts to rest the "I set the hook on a 12" fish and it broke" explanation.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 08, 2009 09:55PM

Richard, do you do this professionally/full time by any chance? I wonder if customers don't mind that short 30/90 warranty? Sounds fair to me but in these days of no fault warranty, consumers seem to expect that as the norm. Here in a local California chain, they have decent $100 store brand rods that no fault, no question over the counter replacement. And these are not Loomis' $50 charge either. Just no fault period. So consumers begins to expect that.....

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster