I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forstner Bits
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 04:57PM

Does any one know where you can get Long Shank Forstner bits?
Thanks
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forstner Bits
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2009 05:12PM

How long? Most are 4" to 6" although you can easily get a drill bit extender some of which push out to 10" to 12" or more.

What are you trying to do? Maybe there's a better tool.

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 05:38PM

Paul, Lee Valley Tools carry a 150 mm extension for Forstner bits. www. leevalley.com hpoe this helps a bit. Cheers!! Wayne

Date: October 05, 2009 06:21PM

Just trying to drill out reel seat blanks, Is there a better way?
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Joe Hall (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 06:35PM

If your talking about recycling reel seats, then just use regular drill bits and go as slow as your drill, or drill press will go. Don't try to drill it out all at once do it in steps, IE first pass 1/4" second pass 3/8" and so on. To fast and the heat build up can ruin your reel seat, especially graphite ones.

Date: October 05, 2009 06:51PM

I am drilling turned wooden seats. From Blanks that are about 6" long. So i need about another 2-3 inches to finish my drill

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 07:05PM

For drilling out the whole piece of stock, I would use a Brad point wood bit rather than a Forstner bit

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 05, 2009 07:20PM

A Forstner bit really isn't the best tool for that job.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 07:39PM

Paul,

I just saw long (9-10") forstnerts at my local Rockler, but I don't think they went down any smaller than an inch. Forstners aren't real good at drilling deep holes because they dump the waste right behind the cutter head and it usually clogs up going deep unless you pull the bit out every few seconds. A twist drill will pull the waste all the way out of the hole.

I use brad points too, plus drill from both ends to make sure the bit doesn't exit the blank off center. Your bit might make it if you go at it from both sides

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: October 05, 2009 07:56PM

Thaks guys maybe i can get some brad points that have a longer shank
I appreciate the help
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 08:00PM

Paul, I like to use a forstner bit to drill reel seats, but they are short for some projects. You could drill from both ends, but you don't always meet in the center, brad points are probably a better choice and can be purchased from several different places. I have been using a few from Woodcraft [www.woodcraft.com]# and really like using the metric sizes for fishing rods. It seems to be easier to find the size that I need in metric instead of trying to find a bit in standard fractions, as you increase in size on metrics you will increase by around .040" on every size (10mm = .393, 11mm = .433, 12mm = .472, 13mm = .511). When you go from a standard 7/16" (.437") to 1/2" (.500) you increase in size by .063" so if you are going to go with a new set of bits you may want to look at a metric set instead of a fractional set.

Date: October 05, 2009 10:11PM

We've done articles on how to easily bore seat inserts, end to end. Check your past issues of RodMaker.

Date: October 06, 2009 09:56AM

Thanks tom I will look through what i have and see if i can find the articles.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2009 01:51PM

Long Brad point bits are available from several places. Here are some very good 10" bits. [www.woodcraft.com] I know that a lot of people are succesful in boring from each end but it has never worked for me. Unless both ends are bored perfect, they will not line up right. By boring all the way through from one direction, even if it is not PERFECTLY centered, the piece will be turned concentric around the hole. This method will usually require an extension bed unless you have a LONG bed on your lathe.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster