I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL 2lb. - 6lb. Blank Ideas
Posted by: Jon Gold (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 04, 2009 11:09AM

I'm looking for a couple of 1 pc., 7ft., 2-6 lb. fast blanks (similar to a Loomis GL3, but not those blanks) to build for spinning rods using the New Concept Guide System.
Ideally I prefer to use Batson, but they don't show anything in their catalogue.
Are there any other Batson/Rainshadows I can substitute?
Would their Inshore Popping blank IP840 work?
These will be trout rods for high Sierra lakes.

Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL 2lb. - 6lb. Blank Ideas
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2009 11:20AM

The IP840 might be interesting, but unless those trout get larger than I think they do, you still may find the popping blanks a little too much.

You could always find a 6 to 6'6" UL blank you like and build the handle on an extension. That will preserve the UL power but get you the length you're after. The action will become a little faster, of course, but you may find that you like things that way.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2009 12:12PM

Casting lures? Bait? Jigging? Depending on what you want to do, and if you are willing to compromise on 1 piece, you can make a terrific UL spinning rod out of a 2 or 3 weight fly blank. But the action will be fairly slow, which is ideal for casting tiny spinners, spinner baits, and cranks. I built one on the American Tackle AMF 763 ( 7 12 foot, "moderate" action) and have found it a wonderful UL rod. It casts much more comfortably than fast action rods, casts a very long distance, and I've had no trouble with hook sets like I used to with UL rods.

I have had the shorter UL's in the past, and never liked them because the hook sets were unreliable and the casting characteristics were poor. The extra length and the slower action are ideal for an UL . Batson has blanks similar to this, and they are pretty reasonable, so trying this idea won't cost a lot.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 04, 2009 12:32PM

Mud Hole ... S841-MHX. 7'0", 2-6#, 1/32-3/16, Fast Action, Ultra-Light Power.

They are new and not listed online. You can call them tomorrow and inquire.

Jim -

Date: October 04, 2009 12:36PM

Tom:
Great idea........ A Rainshadow IS720 with a 1 ft. extension would work for me.
I know these guys would prefer a faster blank anyway.
I have all the RodMaker CD's so, where can I find the article on building extensions since I've haven't done this yet.
Thanks,
Jon

Date: October 04, 2009 12:39PM

Thanks Jim.
I will call them tomorrow.
Jon

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2009 12:55PM

Jon,

I think it's in Volume 6 #3. It may also be in the online library here.

You have a good many options as to how to do this and UL power blanks are ideal candidates for extending as you don't place that much pressure on your extension junction.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2009 08:17PM

MudHole MHX just built one, nice trout rod, call Bob McKamey

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 08:13AM

We use the SP-721 6 foot which could be extended to the 7 foot that you want a really good blank that goes back a long ways.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 11:41AM

I have used the Batson IP 840 on about a dozen rods. I have also built a few on the St. Croix 3S70ULF. All were on the new Concept system. I like both of these. IMO it depends on which one you can get for the lowest price. Personally, I use both these blanks trout fishing.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 01:02PM

Jon,
I have built several Ultra Light rods using the Batson blank:

IP840 Matte Clear 7'0" 1 4-6lb. 1/32 - 3/16 oz. 0.380 5.0 Moderate-Fast Ultra-Light 1.11 oz.

I think that this blank is pretty tough to beat for use as an ultra light blank. It comes in a 7 foot length and works very very well for any type ultra light application.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: October 05, 2009 08:08PM

I also would have to vote for the IP840, it's a great blank period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster