I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foots turning when applying epoxy
Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns1.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 04:24AM

Hi all

I have just epoxied my second light weight 7 foot rod. The big problem i discovered when finished was that the guides had all moved. I single wrapped the guides (TATSG's) with NCP A and was trying out not using a locking wrap. I applied why epoxy (Classic Coat) quite thick then flamed it and removed excess. The rod may have been in the same position for up to 2 minutes.

The other thing i discovered after removing the guides was that the feet of the guides had made an impression in the blank, is this normal?

Any ideas why the guides may have turned. The stripper and second guide moved quite a bit. The rest about 15 degrees.

Thaks
Stuart Klose

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foots turning when applying epoxy
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 05:18AM

Stuart
You may have wrapped the guides too loosely. Check the foot area again. Are you sure that the guide left an impression - or is it a bit of either color preserver / epoxy that was under the wraps and adjacent to the guide foot? Try to gently push an edge with your fingernail as I suspect the latter - which is a good thing because you got good penetration of finish in the "tunnel" between guide foot and thread wrap.

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns1.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 05:43AM

Thanks for your reply ken.

No i'm pretty sure i wrapped then with 'normal' tension because when i aligned then prior to epoxying they were quite difficult to move even a little. I have removed all the guides and cleaned the blank. Where one guide was there is a definite impression so my thinking is it was wrapped too tight. It is really puzzling, i even thought that the blank may have warped or twisted but that doesn't make sense.

Will try wrapping again.

Is it worth using some tip top adhesive to glue the guide to the blank before wrapping?

Posted by: Kip Robinson (---.hlna.qwest.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 08:02AM

Wonder if flaming the guides got things a little too hot and caused the guide to melt or at least cause a depression in the blank also allowing the guide to loosen some? Kip

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2009 08:47AM

Why did you "flame the wraps and remove excess?" That's certainly not necessary. I can't say that caused your problem, but it didn't help matters.

The thread isn't likely to have relaxed so it appears that the guides were wrapped too loosely. The guide feet often leave a surface impression in the soft finish of some blanks.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 10:18AM

MAybe you didn't align them as well as you thought? here was a pos a few weeks ago where a bunch of us admited that we sometimes make mistakes and what looks straight one night, isn't straight in teh morning (a rodbuilding beer goggles sobb story, lol)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 10:55AM

Stuart,
Even if the guides were wrapped a bit loose, they would not have moved unless they were touched after alignment.

The key thing in rod building is check, check and double check.

I will often build rods in batches, because it is a more efficient way to build. i.e. prep rods, prep and glue up handles, tie on guides, align, and coat guides.

In between operations, I store the incomplete rods in a rod stand. In some cases, it is a day or two between the time that I align the rod and coat the rod.

Because of problems like yours, I make a point of rechecking the guide alignment 100% of the time, just before I do the finish application.

It is so easy to catch a guide sometime during rod movement, between one station and the next, and even during finish application.

So, again, after applying the finish but before moving to the 6 rpm dryer, I will do another quick glance down the rod to insure that none of the guides have been bumped and knocked out of alignment.
If a rod is on a dryer, even a correctly wrapped guide can be knocked out of alignment from hitting your hand as the rod is turning.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 12:27PM

There is really no good reason to "flame" epoxy, there are risks! If the wraps were tight enough, something moved them and it is very unlikely that it was anything to do with the epoxy.

If the guide that made the "impression" was heated by the flaming, it well could have been the cause.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2009 07:57PM

Did you use CP ? Sometimes if you put CP over NCP thread it will make the threads loosen up, which could allow the guides to move.
(I think).

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster