I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy chemistry
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 06:22AM

I'm pretty sure there are some true chemists following this board based on the responses to questions I've seen. I wonder if one of them would take the time to please give me a brief description of the chemical process/reaction that turns a liquid resin and hardener into a solid material, either the epoxy we use to "glue" things together, or that we use to coat our threadwork.

I don't think it's a stochiometric reaction, like adding two parts hydrogen to one part oxygen to form water, but the recommendations are still equal parts of resin and hardener. However, there appears to be some flex in these proportions that will still provide an acceptable outcome, either for holding or coating -- so what is the reaction?

The reason I'm asking is because of this apparent flexibility in acceptable proportions (in spite of what sometimes appears on this board), and my wondering about three related specifics:

1) What is the degree of "slop" in proportions that will still provide a proper outcome?

2) What are the consequences of using too much resin and not enough hardner?

3) The converse; consequences of using too much hardner and not enough resin?

Thanks.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy chemistry
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 08:47AM

I think the only thing you will find published from a credible sourse are the exact and correct mixtures to produce the optimum material for any use. The notes you are seeking may exist in the lab notes of the developemtn chemist who worked to get to the proper end point. The adverse effects to a manufacturer are complete loss of sale!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2009 08:55AM

Most epoxies aren't actually formulated for a 1 to 1 mix. But, to make things easier for the people using the products, those who formulate for rod builders (and others) will add "fillers" to one of the components so that the final ratio comes out at 1 to 1. There is always a little leeway, but it's a very small percentage and this is why you often hear builders advising not to mix less than 3 ccs of each component. On a total 1 cc mix, being off a drop could throw you off by a double digit percentage. Being off by that same drop on a total 6 cc mix is a much smaller percentage.

Ralph O'Quinn is the only person in the rod building epoxy game that actually formulates his own products (Trondak U-40). He has written several articles in past issues of RodMaker that outline the technical side of epoxies and how and why they do what they do.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 08:49PM

Do graphite/epoxy rod blanks break down from environmental factors over time? If so, which environmental factors are the most significant?
Stop with the doors-car trunks-ceiling fans-teething puppies refrain. I'm wondering along the lines of heat, rapid temperature changes, sunlight, ozone, solvents, chemical fumes -that kind of stuff.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2009 10:14PM

Carbon is a very stable material, able to withstand a very broad temperature range. However, heat above 200F can and most likely will damage graphite rod blanks. UV damages everything, but your graphite rod will fare much better than you will under many years of UV exposure. Harsh solvents like acetone and lacquer thinner can damage a blank but it would take a good bit more than a few wipes with a solvent soaked rag to do it.

All in all, those car doors you mention pose a far greater danger to your rod than temperature, UV or solvents do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster