I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork dust allergies?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 01:16AM

OK, heard about Xylene in PG so I use an organic mask for that. Then heard about epoxy sensitivities so now I wear gloves for that - and maybe a mask. Then hear about wood dust allergy so that's something else to wear a mask for. Now I'm wondering about cork. Do a lot of shaping and find that there are also cork dust allergies in workers who harvest cork.

I sure would like to keep sanding cork without worrying about wearing a full blown mask. Anyone here know if that's necessary?

LOL - at this rate, I should just pick up a full hazmat suit for rod building. Not even hanging over a hole 30 foot above the ground painting my deck seem as dangerous as our hobby. Any sponsors on the left carry one.....? LOL.

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork dust allergies?
Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: October 02, 2009 10:14AM

Mo,

you can get an allergy to anything that contains protein. That does include cork. At the very least, I'd suggest you wear one on those disposable white filters to keep the bigger particles out of your airways.

Besides, you'll look like a surgeon!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2009 10:32AM

Mo,

One thing is for sure, living will eventually kill you.

It's good to take reasonable precautions with anything you use and in anything you do, but neither rod building nor the products we use in rod building are inherently dangerous provided you just use a little common sense. The vast majority of rod builders throughout the history of this craft haven't resorted to full hazmat suits and many have been at this for decades will no ill effects.

Cork is usually bleached after its stripped from the tree. This kills most of the bacteria and related spores that could otherwise cause problems in those using it. The only danger it poses to you is the dust, which while not toxic is still dust in your lungs. So it's not necessary but it's not a bad idea. A simple paper mask will prevent 99% of it from getting in. A decent dust collection system, even a shop vac or a fan with a filter taped to it, will trap most of the dust as well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 12:15PM

I 2nd Toms suggestion on a good ventilation / dust removal system.

For the turning operation, it is certainly a good idea to have a good fan/vacuum system to keep the dust and turnings away from your nose and mouth for possible injestion.

Also, it is VERY important to have good ventilation in your finish application area. Too often, I see that folks are doing glue up and finish work in a general shop area with no additional ventilation. Not really a good idea, with the solvents and fumes involved. Try to install ventilation, so that the finish area exhausts fumes out of the building, and have fresh make up air brought into the building.

I am a person who has become allergic to some of the chemicals involved in gluing and finish work. In particular, some of the hardners in two part epoxy finishes have affected me in a negative fashion.

So, the body tells all of us when enough is enough. To delay this progression, do your best to keep the injestion of fumes, and or chemicals from your nose, mouth and through the skin.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 02:27PM

I love rod building, and am as concerned as anyone about the health effects but I saw a few things this week that eased my mind a little. I was at the St. Croix store and watched the ladies finishing, with a pan of Flex Coat right unde their face, no mask, no extra venting. I asked the guy in the store and he said that's how they do it, and that's all day every day!

Then I watched my old Artie Hebert video, and watched Artie clean up extra epoxy with his bare finger - no glove - no worries.

Just another perspective.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 02, 2009 03:08PM

You keep worrying about this stuff and you will get a hart attack or ulcers.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 04:10PM

Uh, Artie died.

No idea if it was from epoxy or a car accident but not sure you want to hold up Artie as proof that this stuff is not likely to harm you. Something sure got him.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: October 02, 2009 06:34PM

LOL Tom, on this side of eternity, living sure can be hazardous. So far death is a 100% statistical certainty....

To everyone else, thanks for the responses. I trust that my original post clearly had a bit of tongue in cheek - I'm really not that paranoid or worried....:)

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster