I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish Expoxy
Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: September 30, 2009 10:15PM

Okay, i am all aobut saving money on my builds!!! Is there a widely avaible Expoxy that can be bought at local craft stores, or places like that as a finish expoxy? or maybe a two part expoxy, i can buy locally that will work to attach reel seats and cork?

I only ask, cause i hate waiting for ordered stuff, when i want to get a project going.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish Expoxy
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 30, 2009 10:37PM

I suggest that you wait. Order U40's Rod Bond and get started right. There are other products out there, but they either don't work as well OR have a learning curve not suitable for new builders IMO.

It won't take long to get the items you need ... go fishing while you wait.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 10:38PM

Order a large enough supply of the stuff specifically made for rod building and get it over with. They are easier to work with and proven to work. You dont go to a big box store and buy paint for your boat because you dont want to wait to get the right stuff do ya? The stuff dont go bad on the shelf. There are others that will work but some a really brittle.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 10:38PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 11:03PM

I agree with the above about Rod Bond for holding components together, it's well worth the wait. If you absolutely need something in a pinch, craft store epoxies will usually work, however, I have found that the slower curing types will provide a stronger bond. Also, gel or paste types (like Rod Bond) are much easier for me to work with.

As far as finish epoxy, you'll find that it is very specific for our craft. You can use some urethanes, but by the time you build-up enough coats, you could have ordered and received your finish epoxy. Hope this helps,

Steve

Date: September 30, 2009 11:21PM

Guess I just have to knuckle down and wait......... It is funny you should say go fishing while i wait... been doing that a lot in the past week.... I got in to this cause i wanted to revamp my Bass rods, and get new ones. could not afford to buy a cusdtom rod, or a name brand, but building them, seemed logical, so i am giving it a try, now, i am hooked on building, next question is, what to do with all the rods i want to build now...

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 11:28PM

They make great gifts. My relatives start calling in their Christmas wish list in spring to make sure they're first in line. I've got projects going all year long and can take my time waiting on good components (and epoxy and glues) to come in from the sponsors here :)

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 11:53PM

"next question is, what to do with all the rods i want to build now..."

Welcome to our world. Just let it happen.

Steve

Date: October 01, 2009 12:04AM

My wife and her understanding of my hobbies is being tested to the limits!! She hears me talk about making rods for members of my family and makig plans for this and that, but she thinks of the cost and wants to scream....But I told her, i bought her that Quilting Machine, and it cost way way way way more than all my hobbies combined, so she has to tough it out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 12:05AM

Bobby,
You don't mention where you are from.
Here in the Midwest, I go to my local Menard's building supply store.
They carry an excellent line of epoxy. They have it in several different formulations.
I buy the "professional" series, which is a clear epoxy with a 30 minute cure time.

They sell it in two 1/2 lb containers as a set of part A and part B for $9. This gives you one lb of epoxy for $9.

I have really found no better epoxy on the market.

To use it and to get an equal mix with no loss, I use large syringes with the ends cut off and the ends of the syringes drilled out to 3/16th of an inch. This allows me to pull up equal part A and part B from each tub.

For the times that I need 5 minute epoxy, I go to the local hobby shop and buy 5 minute devcon in large containers. Again, this is a product that I have used for the last many years in other uses beside rod building with never a failure.

I like to buy any kind of glue from a location which has a frequent inventory turnover. This insures that you have fresher stock.

Good luck

Roger

Date: October 01, 2009 01:03AM

Well i live in Arkansas, so that place isnt around here, least not that I know of. I have another question right now, i am looking at mudhole.com right now and since I am buying the supplies for two rod builds. was wondering if it is better to buy the syringes, with 24 cc of expoxy, is that enough to do two rods or just one? should i just get the 4 oz bottles? this is for both, rod bonding for the reel seats and the finish.. dont know how much to buy and am working on a budget for these builds.

Re: Finish Epoxy
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 04:39AM

6cc of finish epoxy (3cc of each A & B) will cover a bass rod with some left. However, if you don't
apply it fast enough and it begins to set-up on you before you get the rod coated you should
mix a fresh batch to finish and it's best never to mix any less than 3cc each part. (Less chance
for mixing unequal amounts) if you need a 2nd coat that's another 6cc so you see, it's possible
at first to use up 12cc of each 24cc total for just the one rod especially if its your first and have
no one to watch or help you as you do it.

Get the 8oz kit right off and you won't regret it.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 01, 2009 05:35AM

Remember that the epoxy for adhering handles and grips is not the same stuff you'll use for finishing your thread wraps.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 09:29AM

Bobby Haynes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife and her understanding of my hobbies is
> being tested to the limits!! She hears me talk
> about making rods for members of my family and
> makig plans for this and that, but she thinks of
> the cost and wants to scream....But I told her, i
> bought her that Quilting Machine, and it cost way
> way way way more than all my hobbies combined, so
> she has to tough it out.

My tournament partner tells his wife the same thing. She bought a microderm abrasion machine ($275 a month) 2 years ago usaes 2-3 times a year and she fusses about his $200 reels and $250 rods that are making money.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 01, 2009 10:15AM

Bobby,
I might have misunderstood but it sounds like you want to use the same epoxy for finishind AND for bonding, That won't work, they are 2 completely different animals. Finish is more of a casting resin and is not an adhesive. I would suggest Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel for the adhesive

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2009 10:20AM

Bobby,
As Tom and Mike have stated, to completely build rods, you need two types of epoxy.

1. Construction adhesive which is any of many different variations of the common two part epoxies that you find in hardware stores to repair things that are broken. It is relative thick and relatively quick curing.

2. Finish epoxy which is a much thinner, longer curing epoxy that will resist yellowing and is NEVER used for construction, but is only used for finish applications to cover guide and butt wraps and give the rod a nice glossy finish.

Don't use construction epoxy to coat rod guides, and don't use finish epoxy to attempt to glue reel seats and handles in place.

Good luck
Roger

Date: October 08, 2009 01:59AM

I use two differant types. U40 Rod bond is what i am useing for the bonding the reel seats and grips. I have settled on U40 dura gloss LS Supreme for my finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster