I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Fishing??
Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2009 09:15PM

I know this is a Rod Building Forum..... But I recently had to sell my offshore boat and got myself a Kayak :) Big change but I will make it work. I am totaly new to saltwater fly fishing and was wondering if any of you knew of A DVD or a place I can read up on it. Built myself a nice rod and purchased a reel, but have no clue what to do. I know it sounds crazy but the only way I was gonna learn was to throw myself into the mix. If this is off topic for the forum and it gets deleted I will totaly understand just wanted to ask the advise of fellow Rod builders.

Thank you
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Fishing??
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2009 10:06PM

John, Lefty Kreh has a couple of good books that are beginner related for the salt.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 29, 2009 10:33PM

Hi John,

The best advice I got when I started out many years ago now, is to join a local Fly Fishing Club. I would suggest the same for you. It allows you to draw experience from many seasoned anglers and also some newbies who have gone through what you are going through now. They will also teach you how to cast.

And also as Bill said above, Lefty has several books and casting DVD's, which are great.

Good luck.

Richard

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2009 10:37PM

The only thing you want to be careful of is the "purists." The main thing is just to have fun. Fly fishing is tremendously productive for nearly any type of fish. But you just have to fish and overlook a lot of the typical fly fishing mindset. A fly rod is just another fishing rod. It's not magical and it's not an art. It's just fishing. Approach it from that standpoint and you'll have a lot of fun.

In a kayak, you'll either be getting out and wading, or casting from your seat. Learn to sit sideways in your boat and find the tipping point so you can comfortably fish all the angles. A kayak and a fly rod is a fantastic combination.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: September 29, 2009 11:35PM

Go to Google search, type in "saltwater fly fishing forums"

There will be a bunch of stuff for ya!
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 03:41AM

This time of the year on the Chesapeake Bay and the rivers that feed it kayak fishing with a fly rod is a killer combination. Lots of breaking fish (bluefish and stripers) - and mostly in shallower waters where the larger boats (charter boats) can't really get to. The kayak fishermen have to get to know the local waters a little better. Have to know where there are sand bars, shell banks or rock piles that bait fish get pushed against during tide changes but that's really just "knowing where to go" since you are limited by speed over ground to chase birds diving on breaking fish. However there is NOTHING like being close to the water with fish breaking and birds diving. Another author you might want do check for striper fishing is Joe Bruce - another Maryland native like Lefty.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2009 09:29AM

I'm not sure from your post if you are new to fly fishing or new to fly fishing in salt. If you are new to fly fishing, the first thing you need to learn is how to cast with distance and accuracy, then you can adapt it to kayak fishing. If you have fly fished before, fishing in salt is similar to throwing big streamers. All you need to do is adapt your style to kayak fishing. Practice fishing from a sitting position. It is really not hard, you just need proper technique.

Are you in Florida by any chance? If so, I can hook you up with some good local fly fishing and kayak fishing websites.

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.104.100.esconett.org)
Date: September 30, 2009 10:02AM

A great place to get good insight is at [www.texaskayakfisherman.com].

I already flyfishing for years in the Great North West growing up. But moved to South Padre Island, Texas and had to learn a whole new fishing technique. These guys were great in how to properly set up a kayak for fishing both beyind the breakers and the flats. They also have a fly fishing section and traditional saltwater section.

Here is a link to a photo of me with my 5wt FT Dan Craft, my first rod built by myself, specifically for fly fishing in my Kayak on the flats. Casting in a kayak is similar to casting in a float tube, cast up on the back cast.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Zarski (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2009 10:11AM

Yes I am In Florida Bob. I am also totaly new to fly fishing. Never even had one in my hands until Last Saturday..

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 12:58PM

Kayakfishingstuff.com is a great resource. They have a separate section on their forum dedicated to fly fishing.

Tight lines.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2009 02:46PM

First of all, don't try to fly fish from the kayak at this point. You will just get frustrated. Using a light to medium light spinning rod from the kayak. Take the fly rod on the kayak, but use it when you get out and wade. I would recommend you get a stripping basket to hold the line. It will be very helpful in your casting. I am in the Tampa Bay area. There are several websites that will be helpful to you.

[www.paddle-fishing.com] This is a Florida kayak fishing site that has a fly fishing forum.

[forums.floridasportsman.com] This is the Florida Sportsman site, it has a fly fishing forum and a kayak fishing forum (No Motor Zone)

[capmel.websitetoolbox.com] This is Captain Mel's website forums. There is a paddle fishin forum and a fly fishing forum.

I would highly recommend you get someone to teach you how to cast. I learned on my own and it was a long process. I ended up having to unlearn some bad habits.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 02:53PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: September 30, 2009 11:01PM

I have witnessed on all knids of days a fly rod whip a spinning rod fished out of a kayak. Go have fun and fish the fly rod as mush as you want. A basket may be nice but it's just something else to get in the way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster