I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sewing machine threads
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:27PM

Alright, Sorry for being needy on the info this morning. I grabbed a bunch of stuff for a cosmetic coverup this morning, didn't have time to get the rod take it home and fix it as it's needed for a gift on wednesday. Due to the blemish on the split section of the grip, this rod was heavily discounted, I was asked by a bud if it could be covered up, nothing wrong with the rod. I commute 40 miles one way to work, so I'm going after work to setup the rod dryer at his house and throw a coat of tinted epoxy in that section of the rod, and let it spin so it's ready to be gifted on wednesday. I didn't bring any thread, but I thought about putting wraps in that section of the rod over the blemish and going with a clear epoxy finish. I only have craft stores available to get thread from, without CP, what can I expect to happen if I use their thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sewing machine threads
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:35PM

YOu''l find out when you test it yourself, depending on which brand and type of thread you buy. Do youreally expect to get good results when youuse a new product that you don't at least do a test on?

Date: September 28, 2009 12:41PM

I wouldn't expect bad results if a few folks from the board said not to. Otherwise, I'm going to stear clear.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:41PM

You could have silicone on the thread ending up with fish-eyes in the epoxy.

Date: September 28, 2009 12:44PM

Based on the issues at hand, I don't think I'll get any good answers out of this thread, but I will be buying a few different brands and types of sewing machine thread and I'll be putting them to the test so I will know, and be able to share the data, this is just a last minute deal to help a friend out.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 12:55PM

I'll try Andrew. A lot of craft stores carry embroidery materials and you may luck out with some metzler or even Maderia thread. Don't try a plain old sewing thread, I think it's the cotton that gets the frizzies. If you have to use color preserver and don't have it, you can try thinned down white craft glue in a pinch. Just make sure it's the stuff that dries clear. You will know right away if the thread you choose won't work, it'll puff up and get spikey. Good luck.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 02:27PM

The answers you received were correct. If you go to a sewing store they have nylon thread and Mederia thread. They major problem with sewing machine thread is, it has been impregnated with silicone, This is so the thread will pass threw a needle and bobbin without fraying. Silicone will cause fish eyes. To stop fish eye you need to put some color preserver on the thread. Many experienced builders use sewing thread to get special color effects. The closest to a A thread is 40 WT

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.30.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 02:36PM

I tend to side with what Mr. Erikson said.
My mother is a seamstress and she has a huge selection of thread.
She says that some of the sewing thread has sizing on it which is a lubricant to help it move through the mechanisms of a sewing machine. After the garment is complete the sizing is washed out in the laundry. The sizing could be something as benign as cornstarch or as evil as silicone
If the thread is not clean, meaning impurities, you may get fish eyes, orange peal or crawling of your coating.
Actually she is the one that calls me up and raids my thread supply. I use nylon and it is stronger than what is used in clothing alterations.
Silk thread does not have sizing on it.
Ask one of the ladies at a fabric store they should know and they are usually very helpful.

Date: September 28, 2009 03:27PM

TEHre are SO MANY different types of thread - Rayon, Polyester, Cotton, Silk, Nylon, etc, and so many companies MAdeira, Sulky, Superior, Hemmingworth, Coats & Clark, MEttler, etc,e tc. They all have different properties, sizes, lubricants - teh only way you are going to know if it's going to work is by testing it out. I know fo rme I will never use CP on a guide wrap, nor embroidery thread because I know it doesnt' work for me. TAHt is not the experiance of others. The only person that matters who's opinion is right is ours, so buying and testi gis the only way to come to that conclusion

Every craft shop has diffrent brands of thread. I've never seen MAdeira in teh local crafts shops here, but others have posted that they do. All that matters is what your craft shop has.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:32PM

Coats & Clark 40wt. POLYESTER thread is found @ Wally world and many other places.
As per the Mfgr. (and my own experience) they don't coat their threads with silicone!
Get black and you won't need CP either to retain color or prevent transluciense.

You also could try cleaning any silicone off of another brand with alcohol.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 03:48PM

Raymonds's idea isnt bad either. Just wrap it, then soak the wrap with alcohol and wipe off with a paper towel. Repeat several times and by then all silicone remnants should be removed. I dont know if this works, as I havent tried it, but it's definitely a plausible idea.

Also recently it has been publicly acknowledged that paper towel dust disappears within finish. Something many have known for a long time, but since being posted on the forum I am sure it is much more well known now. So you won't have to worry about that either.

Date: September 28, 2009 04:08PM

Sean - lol, sorry for exposing one of the long lost secrets of rodbuilding. I have wiped metallics with alcohol, certain brands will fade. NEver tried on regular thread - cant hurt to test it.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 06:55PM

Say I try a new brand of thread and am using CP. Between the thread, CP, finish, drying times, and technique there are a lot of places for something to mess up. In general, is the problem obvious?....how do you know which product/step is the problem?

A test wrap is fine. Not knowing what to do with the results is depressing!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 07:56PM

Russell,
Don't worry so much. Relax, it ain't rocket science and you will know what ya did or didn't do
for the most part. If the finish is repelled by the thread the thread has silicone coating and
you didn't get it sealed with the CP or you didn't wait for the CP to dry. If you get crappy thread
you'll find that out before it's time to put the CP on it. If you get very dark blotches in your wraps
that again is not enough CP. When you use CP just be sure to wet the threads.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bobby Haynes (208.87.244.---)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:36PM

From what i found, simply look at the thread, read it before you buy it. if it is coated with silicone, it will say so... I use polyester thred and nyoln threads, i have not had a problem. if it is coated with silicone it will say so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster