I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finding the straightest axis
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 28, 2009 09:09AM

I don't mean to sound a few pickles shy of a full barrel, but what is the straightest axis on a blank. I've not seen a bent blank, or at least one that bends in one direction. When I built two kistler blanks I won on @#$%&, there was an ever so slight roll in the blank that could be seen only by looking down the blank and paying very very close attention. I've also got a 10' 5wt rainshadow blank that when put together and rolled around in hand, will droop down noticably enough on the weak side of the spine. but it seems straigt enough when rolling it on a level hard surface. What's the straightest axis?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finding the straightest axis
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2009 10:14AM

I'm guessing you didn't read the recent RodMaker article on how to easily find the straightest axis.

Most any blank will have a natural curve or warp. Affix the butt so that it is supported at two points about a foot or so apart. Try to get it reasonably level. Put something just beyond the tip for reference. A piece of graph paper on a card stock works well. Now rotate the blank and you'll see the tip travel in a circle. The high point on the circle will be very close to the straightest axis of that blank.

Rod blanks often contain minor crooks along their length too. But you're still going to find that when you do the above, the point when the tip reaches the highest point on its circular path is going to be pretty much in line with the straightest overall axis of the blank. You'll also find that the stiffest axis of the blank will generally be along that same axis.

The "effective spine" does not have a "weak" or "strong" side. The softest and stiffest axis of a blank are rarely opposite each other. The effective spine is understood to be the outside of the curve when the blank has been pressured and allowed to come to rest (OSCAR - Outside of Stressed Curve at Rest). It will not generally be along the straightest axis but it will generally be the softest axis.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 10:25AM

Here is something else you can try if you don\'t trust your eyes. Put the butt in a holding device and hang some weight from the tip. As you rotate the butt you will see the amount of deflection changes as the blank revolves. When it reaches the LEAST amount of deflection put a mark on the top of the blank. This will almost always be the straightest axis.

The thing about using the straightest axis is that because it puts the most power into play against the lure or the fish it seems IMO to provide the best sensitivity and quickest response.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 10:31AM

Or, you can roll it on a flat surface and see the tip going up and down, also put a piece of tape around the blank, take it outside - good light - and look from the butt out to the tip, turn it and watch the tip move, mark in the up position.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 04:32PM

Suppose I determine the straightest axis for each of the sections of a four piece blank. When I assemble the sections I fear that not all the ferrules are truly centered, which would result in a rod with a varying degree of zig-zag or cast-off rather than the straightest configuration possible. Is there any way to easily, quickly, and still accurately determine the straightest axis of the ASSEMBLED blank before affixing components and turning it into a rod?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2009 04:50PM

If the ferrules are that far off, you might want to swap it for a better blank. Or, you can just turn the sections by whatever slight amount is needed to bring everything back into straight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster