I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparison Rod with more backbone
Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 07:35PM

Hello If you will permit me first I would like to introduce myself, My name is Tom Wicker and I reside on the Alabama coast. And I’m a Speck and Red fisherman

Lately I have redone most all of my older penn rods that I use off shore and was satisfied with the outcomes (thanks to this board and my kurking) A few months ago I looked into purchasing a Shimano Cumara rod But what I didn’t account for was the Local Tackle store didn’t carry them. To make a long story short I ended up walking out with a Tsunami Airwave inshore spinning rod TSAWIS 761 MF 7'6'’ 8-17lb lure 1/4-3/4 split handle. Now I’m not moaning over this rod I love the length and the casting is great. I can even feel my jig head roll along the bottom. And the weight is very nice. casting it in a tournament all day is no problem. But here is where my trouble lies. Catching an upper slot Red the rod just feels week and really puts a bend in it.

My question here is. Is there a rod very similar to this Rod blank with just a little more backbone to it where I want loose the casting and feel of the Airwave? Somethings a person just cant find doing homework and has to ask questions on so please don’t think I ran here to let others do my legwork for me. I build my over Spinners and pour my own jigs and I would love to build my own rod from the ground up

Tom Wicker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparison Rod with more backbone
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2009 07:46PM

I'll someone else that is familiar with that rod suggest one with a bit more backbone for you. In the meantime I'll just mention that you can easily build your own rod and once you do, you won't likely ever buy a commercially made rod again. Not that they're bad - but you can do better even on your first attempt. Rod building is not that hard. You may not build a masterpiece the first time out, but you will be able to build something that functions very well and suits what you want to do. Don't be afraid to take the plunge.

Posted by: Mike Tilbury (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 09:20PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll someone else that is familiar with that rod
> suggest one with a bit more backbone for you. In
> the meantime I'll just mention that you can easily
> build your own rod and once you do, you won't
> likely ever buy a commercially made rod again. Not
> that they're bad - but you can do better even on
> your first attempt. Rod building is not that hard.
> You may not build a masterpiece the first time
> out, but you will be able to build something that
> functions very well and suits what you want to do.
> Don't be afraid to take the plunge.
>
> ................

Tom

Ill have to ditto what Tom K said, I am new to rod building and have to say, there is no comparison to a hand made rod. Its kind of like, do you want to drive a Cadillac or a Corolla to the prom.......

Date: September 27, 2009 09:54PM

My main fear is that I'll put one together that is to stiff and I'll loose the action and feel that I have come to like

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 10:10PM

I live in Baton Rouge - fish the marsh Buras - Venice - understand rods used for redfish - and surprisingly enough I understand your post. I have six rod blanks used for redfish in my shop that you can compare directly and choose the one that fits your requirements - We are presently building many micro rods on the Castaway XP3 964 and 965 - The back end power is easily chartable and visually easily comparable. We can set the back end power by blank selection.

Take a look at the attached picture of the Tournament Win at Venice for the Deadly Dudley team - winning Calcutta total for redfish, speckled trout and flounder combined weight - the fishermen and the rods who won the money had sufficient backbone!

When the photo opens please click on th image to enlarge.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Please use the Contact Us Button for a personal contact.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Date: September 28, 2009 05:47AM

Tom Wicker: This may be a simpler explanation of how comparisons are done -

Same load - two blanks from different manufacturers with same descriptions.

Eight Foot Four Power

The one with a more powerful butt section is quite evident.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 05:49AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: September 28, 2009 08:27AM

Bill let me see if I'm following your example post right. So basically what your saying is that a person really cant go by the manufactures numbers only, They need to know how the different blanks them self. Because even though they may have the same numbers as each other the reactions will be off in the power part? Now here comes another follow up question on some of the rods you showed. Is it possible to cut down an 8' rod down to a 7' or a 7'6'' without changing what that rod was rated for?

I hope to be fishing the FLW next season. I have been messing around with the Emerald Coast

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2009 08:49AM

Tom,

The power numbers given by the manufacturers are relative, but only within their own company's offerings. In other words, it is entirely possible that a 4 power Castaway is more powerful than a 5 power Loomis, or vice versa.

The Common Cents System ERN power numbers, however, are relative across the board. If a rod or blank has a higher number than another, you are guaranteed that it will be more powerful.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 11:08AM

One thing you could do is make a list of some blanks you may like. Then if you can not measure them for power, some one here could give you the numbers.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 28, 2009 03:28PM

Blank numbering systems are not comparative across product lines and in some cases are not consistant within product lines - most suppliers have special nuances - the Castaway XP3 802 sounds like a lite power finesse rod - actually it is a very powerful Senko rod - no matter what blank line you deal with get to know someone who has the needed information and do you homework. The picture was posted to show you how the comparison is made - you can actually do it your self quite easily.

Tom W.

Cutting the eight footer 12 inches is not advised - really no reason

If you want to compare your blank to other seven footers we have several different brands.

Seven foot six crank rod is the XP3 904

Seven foot crank rod is the XP 843

Get the proper blank- build it light - and stay away from excessive trimming

All redfish rods are not crankers - some use very heavy flipping sticks to cut down on time lost with small reds, sharks and jack crevaille - these rods are use to reel em in and get a lure back out looking for a winner.

You are only a 3 hour drive from Baton Rouge - schedule a trip over and bring your rod - will spend the time to show you various set ups with different guide trains.

Or if you have a boat and GPS - I will meet you half way SE of Gulf Shores at the north end of Chandeleur Island - we will really put the rods to the test on the slot spots!

Gon Fishn N de Mornin!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 06:40PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: September 28, 2009 06:42PM

Tom K. thanks for catching the error in the Photo Post - I just replaced the original on the Photo Board.

Date: September 28, 2009 08:15PM

Bill
I'm leaning more toward your Castaway Blank 964 XP3. Let's talk about it a second if you have the time. Let me explain my fishing and you can advise me on it. I don't troll the sandbars much and work the Dixie Bar a few time. here I use spoons. 90% of my fishing is in the Back bays much like your marshes over there (lucky Dogs) I throw mainly 1/8 and 1/4 jigs 3'' plastics or gulps attached. I use a lot of my own personal spinners Sort of like the Redfish magic but a heaver wire and a #4 blade. I fish the rivers and the ICW throwing a cork and jigs. I fish as many tournaments I can squeeze in so boating the fish time wise is a concern. I do realize I'm describing more then one rod I really need but what I'm looking for is that go to rod. Now I'm assuming you do sell split grip corks and a eye catching reel seats, after all weigh in pic's has to look good. Would you also be able to advise me distance (spacing on guides)

Date: September 28, 2009 10:57PM

Lots of stuff on the plate - direct communication to simplify pocess - use the Contact Us Button at [www.swamplandtackle.com]. Please leave a telephone number, day and time for a return call or contact the number listed.

All items are in stock.

Be careful when you talk about eye catching reel seats - we can go in a lot of directions and may even take a hammer to you to get your full attention!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

As far as looking good at weigh in how about an Electric Power plug in the split grip area to fully charge all in attendance!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Like the man says "Lets Get R Done!

PS - If you can get to the 10 floor penthouse at Sea Chase in Orange beach Wednesday at daylight look to the south south west and you will see the Electric Decals on my Micro Launchers flashing in the distance - I will be at what is left of the Chandeleur Island Chain wearing out the bronze bombers!

Date: September 29, 2009 12:13AM

Haha I work the Condos in Orange Beach every day. I own Paradise Service. But anyways I'll be out of town tomorrow but Wen. I drop you a line and will work on getting me some supplys started. Thanks for all your help. I'm also going to link your site to my fishing club if you don't mind

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster