I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Q for the boardd
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.usahostingcafe.com)
Date: September 27, 2009 01:06PM

I jhave talked to some other rod builders and it looks like most no longer bother to spine their rods. I cannot tell any difference one way or the other. But some dealers I talk to say to spine is very important. Given that they have been in the business for a long time I wonder why they mention this if it is not needed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q for the boardd
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 01:12PM

Do the dealers who tell you that spine is important also happen to sell spine finding devices?

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 01:22PM

I don't spine my rods at all. I orient my guides based on the natural curve of the rod.

Paul

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2009 01:32PM

It's a simple matter to mock up your handle with tape shims, very snug so it doesn't easily turn or twist, and then set things up on the spine and go out and try it. Then move everything around, off the spine, on the natural curve, etc., and try it that way. Find the orientation you like the best and build it that way. There is no right nor wrong way to orient things. If there were, then millions of rods would be exploding, casting around corners, etc.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 02:58PM

The truths we hold to be self-evident are nothing of the kind. It's interesting how more and more of the beliefs we cling to are shown to be myths.
On the very first page of "Fiberglass Rod Building," Dale Clemmens, talking about guide orientation states: "There are 360 degrees around a blank, bit only one spot is the correct one."

Then on page 92: "In the manufacture of of commercial rods this step (determining the spine) is sometimes skipped, or done improperly, and a rod that is an abomination to cast is the result. This is another example of why a carefully fitted custom-made rod will almost always be superior to a custom rod."

In 1975, my teacher/mentor told me he had abandoned spining rods, and instead was locating the guides where the straightest rod would result. I had "Improperly" spined a blank, (grossly so, according to the wisdom of the day) and couldn't understand why it cast so accurately. Since that time, I have built for the straightest rod possible. They all cast accurately, spined correctly, incorrectly, or not at all.

But I wonder: the story that unless the rod was spined and the guides located exactly 180 degrees from the "high spot" of the blank, an abomination of a rod would result...where did Mr.Clemmens get this idea? Did anyone actually test this out? Or did we simply accept it as true and use this as a sales tool? Were we misleading our customers? Were the blind leading the blind?

Tom, I like your standard advice: "Try iy and see for yourself." A good credo to follow.

Custom rods offer MANY benefits to their owners and users, spine mythology notwithstanding. So many, in fact, that there is no reason to create a benefit where one does not exist.

Date: September 27, 2009 03:19PM

It wasn't based on any facts or testing, just what seemed to make sense based on what happened when you flexed a blank by hand. But that's not what happens once you wrap guides on a rod and use it on the water. Beyond that, none of us casts or fishes a rod on a single plane anyway.

Not too many years back it was still thought by many that if you didn't build your rod on the spine (or opposite it) the blank would twist under load. I had a friendly argument with with Cam Clark 25 years ago about the spine versus the lever arm effect of the guides and which one actually caused twist. Some years later his publication recanted their position on improper spine orientation causing twist and accepted the fact that it was guide location that determined if a rod would twist or not.

Luckily for all rod builders, there is no right nor wrong position. And every one of us has the ability to test cast and fish before we lock things down so setting up a rod the way you or your customer prefers is very easy to do.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 05:28PM

For fly rods where the guides are on the bottom of the rod for both casting and fighting, the spine has no effect at all. Building on the straight axis gives you a straight rod.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 06:10PM

I'll believe that spine is important when someone can identify where it is by casting and fishing a rod. If spine's effect were so large, and therefore so important, one should be able to identify it during normal use of a finished rod. The fact that nobody can do it, to me, says that spine doesn't really matter.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.76.114.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2009 09:11PM

I spine all the rods I build and place the spine facing the fish without regard to type of rod.
My rationale is that the highest loads encountered will be while fighting the fish. This places that half of the blank in compression. Most hollow cylinders fail from compression load rather than tension. Graphite fibers are very resistant to tensile failure. By placing the strongest portion of the blank in compression and allowing the weakest portion to be in tension, the material is more likely to handle higher loads prior to failure.
How much higher ??? Depends upon the amount of ovality and material thickness differential.
Probably different for every blank. This makes more sense then placing the weaker half of the blank in the worst area to handle compressive loads. Or worse not knowing where the strongest and weakest halves are located in relation to the highest anticipated load.
May be completely incorrect but it makes me feel better for the effort.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2009 10:24PM

I know we like to think that the rod companies cut corners and that a custom rod is superior in every way, but rod companies are still faced with keeping costs down as much as possible while trying to best their competitors in the sales game. This means that if a certain alignment of the spine could reduce breakage they would do it. If it meant that a certain alignment of the spine would increase casting accuracy or distance they would do it. Finding the spine on a rod takes mere seconds so if there was any cost, sales or durability advantage to doing it, all the rod companies would do it. As far as I know, most do not. I no longer bother with it and cannot tell any difference whatsoever.

Date: September 28, 2009 08:44AM

The stiffest axis of any blank is generally going to be along the straightest axis, on the convex side of the natural curve or warp. This is another part of the rationale that commercial rod manufacturers use for building on the straightest axis rather than the spine.

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 02:01PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> There is no right nor
> wrong way to orient things. If there were, then
> millions of rods would be exploding, casting
> around corners, etc.
>
> ...............

Casting around corners....thats funny stuff!

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 28, 2009 06:06PM

I need to get this out of my crawl. I believe my old Dale Clemons book said when finding the spine or spline in the blank you rotate the rod in your hands on a hard surface and when the blank comes to the top and wants to Pop Out of your hands you have found the spline. This top is where you place guides for a casting or conventional rod and the opposite(180) is for spinning. Did I read this right? I thought I had this thing cured but reading into this forum has caused me confusion.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2009 07:03PM

Jeff -
You are correct that is what is written in Fiberglass Rod Making by Dale Clemens. That is how many people found the spine/spline on rod blanks before spine/spline finders came along. The bigger question is "Do you need to find the spine/spline at all?" Certainly the "revolver" or "acid" / "spiral" wraps give lie to this thought. I do not believe this is a necessary step in building a rod - but I also believe that it MAY be possible to 'tune' a rod by orienting the guides better.

On an interesting side note: Four years ago (at the last Expo held in Charlotte) Don Morton had an exhibit that actually showed that the spine on a rod can (does) change over the length of the blank. When the sp(l)ine is found over the full length of the rod it is an average of all the different "spines" in the manufacture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 07:07PM by Ken Preston.

Date: September 28, 2009 07:19PM

There is no such thing as a rod "spine" insofar as any physical thing inside the blank. It's not like your backbone. The spine is the result or effect of a variety of manufacturing anomalies. I think most anyone that has ever pressured and rolled a blank around in their hands has noticed that the location of the spine effect changes as you bring more or less of the blank into play. Remember, the spine isn't a thing - it's an effect.

Dale Clemens changed his mind between his first and second books. In the first, the spine was the point where the rod blank did not want to stay put. In the second, it was the place where the blank, when pressured, came to rest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster