I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy on inscription?
Posted by: Baron Boyette (---.labruhh.clients.pavlovmedia.com)
Date: September 25, 2009 04:43PM

i have a prismacolor premier fine point metallic pen to inscribe my name with on a matte black blank. my question is do i need to put CP over the inscription or can i just put finish directly over it without CP?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy on inscription?
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 25, 2009 05:23PM

Tough call! I have seen CP smear ink inscriptions and I have seen straight epoxy smear them too. What I have taken to doing is putting a quick spray of Krylon Fix-A-Tif over the ink and after an hour putting epoxy over that. No problems to report after several dozen done like this.

Date: September 25, 2009 05:48PM

i gotcha. also i did some practice stuff on areas that would be covered up by the reel seat and handle. the ink dried almost instantly. and i could barely remove it with alot of rubbing alcohol. so do you still think the ink might bleed if i let it sit for a while before putting anything on it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2009 06:12PM

Why not just try it? The particular ink you've used may or may not react to the CP or epoxy in the same way that the pen or ink used by someone else might. It would be very disappointing if you went on the word of someone else with even a slightly different product and got bad results.

Make a second inscription on a scrap piece of rod. Apply some CP to it and see if it smears. If not, apply the CP to your inscription, let dry and finish over it.

If you want to go the direct epoxy route, make a second inscription and when you get ready to finish your rod, apply some epoxy to the test inscription first. If it's okay after a few minutes, apply it to the inscription on your rod. If it smears, hold off until you've sealed it with something else.

Date: September 25, 2009 06:53PM

thats a good idea Tom. OK i know this sounds completely stupid but i don't have any access to broken rod blanks around, I'm at my apartment at LSU and don't really want to spend any extra change to buy a wal-mart rod to test on.

So...do you think if i tested it on a plastic mechanical pencil that would work? i mean obviously the shaft isn't made of graphite, but the epoxy or CP should still react the same to the ink right?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 08:14PM

Unless your blank is bare graphite (no finish) then any hard smooth finished surface could
substitute. Your mechanical pencil would work fine for a test.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Logan (---.174.110-65.q9.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 11:04AM

I use broken carbon arrow shafts to test finishes, inscriptions etc. If you have an archery store nearby, ask for a couple broken shafts or wal-mart usually sells cheap carbon shafts for a buck or two each, same construction and similar finishes to matte finish blanks and perfect for testing as they are as much of a pain to write on as a rod blank.

Posted by: robert schuler (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2009 02:10PM

I have had the misfortune of smeared inscriptions often when applying epoxy. Now I do the inscription and wait two days to make sure the ink is very dry then when I apply epoxy I very carefully just graze the surface as to not disturb the ink... Bob.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.236.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 04:54PM

I use art pens and generally let the ink dry and then put on a coat of clear finger nail polish. Let it dry and then epoxy. It's always worked for me but do some experiments and see if it works for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster