I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW - Guide Locating Chart
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2009 02:59PM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle is pleased to introduce a new Mirco and Concept Guide locating chart. This chart is very simple and straight forward to use and allows quick placement of micro and new concept guides.

The chart also includes several handy rod building utilities, including:
- Micro guide resource charts for Fuji & American Tackle
- 72" rod builders ruler.
- Linear conversion chart
- 1/64" to decimal inch to mm conversion chart
- Weight conversion chart
- Tip-Top sizing charts
- Guide-ring sizing charts
- Volume conversion chart
- Common mathematical conversion formulas
- Temperature conversions

Order one today by following the link below:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW - Guide Locating Chart
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 08:30PM

Anyone know where this chart would put the choke guide to set up a NGC? Thanks.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 25, 2009 09:36PM

If it is the Morton Equal Angle chart then that guide would be located I think, at whatever point the blank is still straight when first flexed to ninety degrees. I think there was a full write up on the Morton graph in an older issue of Rodmaker. It\'s sure to work, but basing choke guide location on blank flex rather than reel spool size would not be as accurate IMO.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.236.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 10:09PM

Sounds like another useful tool in the quiver for custom rod builders.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2009 10:14PM

I believe Mud Hole has the instructions for the chart available on their website for download, so you can get an idea of how it works before you buy.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 09:39AM

I looked at the instructions and then at the list of things that are included in the price and decided that what I'm doing is to simple and did not know how complicated placing guides on rods were. How happy I was. The old saying, "Ignorance is Bliss " comes into play the longer I live.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: September 26, 2009 10:33AM

How does it take into account the difference in guide height among the various sized micros and brands - even between Fujis and AmTacks?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 12:44PM

Is it wise to still do a static test after using the chart ? If so, why use it.

And would the arc of the blank be different with tension from tip to butt of the blank, then having the butt in a holder and tension down as to fighting a fish ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.236.22.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 03:27PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it wise to still do a static test after using
> the chart ? If so, why use it.
>

It's my understanding that this chart/graph will place the guides in relationship to where the blank flexes. Whether or not you trust that is up to you but after getting use to using it, you shouldn't "have" to. My opinion anyway.

Date: September 26, 2009 03:40PM

The chart is no different than the story pole type system that many have used for years. If you know how many guides you are going to use, either will place your guides in a progressive fashion along the blank. It's a great place to start and almost automatic once you do a few. From there, you should still do a static distribution test. If you don't like what you see, back up, choose the set of lines that allow you an additional guide, and try again.

Date: September 26, 2009 04:01PM

"If you don't like what you see, back up, choose the set of lines that allow you an additional guide, and try again."

Hopefully anyone would do that, but my concern would be the opposite... as in it having too many guides on the rod. Kinda defeats the point of using micros IMO. One of the reasons I say that is the stated "general rule" for the butt guide being "15 - 17" from the face of the spool."

Gets into a lot of personal philsophy on rod set up though. To each his own.

-----------------
AD

Date: September 26, 2009 05:59PM

I've never heard that "general rule" about the butt guide being 15 to 17 from the face of the spool. Sounds a little close to me but the only way to know is to try it. I supposed it might work if the line is supple enough.

Date: September 26, 2009 07:45PM

Tom - I quoted from the directions you can download. Awful sharp angle out of the reel face down to the blank especially if you use a size 3 butt guide.

"You continue to do this until you have the butt guide close to the place that you intend for it to be placed. As a general rule on a micro guide rod the butt guide is going to be placed 15” – 17” from the face of the spool."

-----------------
AD

Date: September 26, 2009 09:30PM

Okay, excuse me, I hadn't seen that. I was going by the instructions for the original chart. No doubt they've made some changes with the advent of the micro guides.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 11:12PM

From Alex's quote obtained from the posted table:

"As a general rule on a micro guide rod the butt guide is going to be placed 15” – 17” from the face of the spool"

Is it perfectly clear when someone reads the above:

1. If this is a spinning reel is the rotating spool in the forward position?

2. If this is a casting rod is the general rule changed to the center of the reel seat?

3. Does the chart advise different positions for guides on spinning and casting rods built on the same blank?

Date: September 27, 2009 10:01AM

I'm sure that someone at Mud Hole would be more than happy to answer any questions about the chart. sales@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster