I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice rod guides
Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 10:58AM

Well the weather is starting to cool off and my favorite time to fish is fast approaching, ice fishing.

I have a few ideas and questions on guides for ice rods.

I primarily fish from a portable so I was thinking about using micros on my inside rod. Has anyone tried this and how did you like it?

Larger guides #7 or #8's for outside rods and for slip bobbers. Most likely 8's.

I built one rod through a class (my first rod build actually), unfortunately I didn't write down the sizes of the guides. From my best guess it's 16, 10, 8, 8tt. They have a ss ring in them instead of other ceramic style. Any thought on ring material on those harsh winter days?

Patiently waiting for ice,

Wade

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice rod guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2009 12:54PM

The main thing to consider is how quickly water will freeze in the guide rings in the environment you're going to be in. If the inside of your hut is warm enough that this isn't happening at all on your present rods, then you can likely use smaller guides without any problem as well. But if you're getting freezing on size 6's or 7's now, you can count on freezing in the smaller guides - it'll just happen much more quickly.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 10:41PM

Wade,
I build lots and lots of ice rods.
Although you can use mircos for the guides there is virtually no advantage to the use of the smaller guides and lots of disadvantages.

Since the rods are so short, and since they are mainly used with a spinning reel, it is important that the first guide closest to the reel be tall enough so that you don't get line jerking as you rotate the reel.

i.e. If the top of the spool is 3 inches, and the top of the first guide is only a 1/2 inch, you will get lots of line jerking as you retrieve line. However, if you have the first guide at 2 1/2 inches, you will get a nice smooth line retreive.

Then, if you go no smaller than about a number 6 tip and first tip guide you will be less likely to freeze up.
For outside rods, I would go no smaller than a size 8 tip and first guide to reduce freeze up issues.

Also, depending on the blank - i.e. how stiff it is, you may find that only one or two guides are actually required on the rod. However, if you have an ultra light, with a very flexible tip, you may need to go up to 4 guides on even a farily short rod. If that is the case, and if the rod will never be used below freezing, then it could make sense to have micros for the two tip guides.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 25, 2009 10:43PM

p.s.
If you are using a bait casting reel, there is really no issue on guide size, for either the line drop, or retrieve. So, if you don't plan on using the rod in a place below freezing, you could run with all very small guides.
Of course, even with a small bait casting reel, it is a good idea to have the guide nearest the reel a bit larger so that the center of the guide would be in line with the center of the spool.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 25, 2009 11:08PM

Sometimes I will turn a tapered grip to aim the reel at the first guide. I use allot of 16 ring high frame fujis for this. I build them down to 12 inches sometimes for sight fishing rods.

The ONLY reason I ever use a guide smaller than an 8 is on UUL rods. When you have a 32 inch noodle, big guides can feel quite clumsy. If you do not NEED smaller guides, they are more trouble than they are worth. I cant think of one good reason to ever use anything smaller than a 5.5 fly guide.

Date: September 26, 2009 01:23PM

Eric,
In addition to your comments, with which I agree, I have begun using many of the Pac Bay Minima guides. These guides have very thin rings and the inner diameter of the guides generally run about 1 size larger than the comparable standard ceramic guide.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 04:35PM

Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 04:51PM

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your replies.

Wade

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2009 10:21PM

Roger,

Glad to see somebody else has picked up on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster