I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Install grips and reel seat OR decorative wrap first?
Posted by: Joe Doyle (167.3.56.---)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:13AM

I've built a few very simple rods in my day, and have even gotten to where I've done a few of them as spirals. My decorative wrap experience to this point has been diamonds and chevrons on rods that were already completed. I want to start doing some more challenging cross wraps, and am wondering if there is a reason to do the decorative wrap before I install my grips and reel seat.

Most of my rods are either light saltwater spinners and conventionals. I use cork almost exclusively for both rear and front grips. I would think that the fore grip would get in the way while trying to lay down a decorative wrap, and think that it would look cool for the wrap to disappear under the grip. However, if I do the wrap first, apply CP and epoxy, and then try to slide a cork grip over this, I"m thinking that I'm asking for trouble. I could see that EVA or hypalon would stretch a bit to get over the increased circumference of the epoxied wrap, but I'm not sure if cork would do the same.

Any suggestions would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Install grips and reel seat OR decorative wrap first?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:21AM

You can do it either way, but generally it's more common to assemble the handle first and then do the butt wrapping. The only other reason I can see for doing it the other way around would be if you want to hide the butt tie-off wrap under the foregrip or seat.

The foregrip has never gotten in my way when doing any sort of butt wrap or weave. All you need is an inch in front of the foregrip and you've got plenty for a good tie-off wrap.

If you decide to do the wrap first, you may want to go ahead and apply epoxy and finish it out. This will prevent any shifting of the threads when you install the seat or grips.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:31AM

I put the handle on, guides wrap them do the area for the rod info and my name decal. then put any thread decorative wrap on according to how much room is left.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:32AM

Joe...when I have put a grip over a finished wrap-it does look nice to have it disappear under the grip-I have tipped my cork grip with 1/2" or so of EVA so you will have some stretch where you need it. It has a decorative effect and adds a measure of durability to the part of the grip most likely to be damaged. The cork part can be reamed large enough to go over the wrap easily..a little tape or thread to arbor it up to size in its final resting place. The EVA sliding over the finished wrap with its adhesive is less likely to scratch finish than the cork. Well cured finish will further make damage less likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 10:33AM by Chris Davis.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 10:53AM

JOe, I do it all the time. I attached a bunch of photos of both finished rods, and wraps in process. I like doing wraps in teh split grip area,I save a ton of time by doing both of them at teh same time and installing grips over them:
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

With cork you are going to need to build up the blank to teh same diameter as teh finished wrap. I usually apply finish about 3" past teh tie off and it's good. IF using reel seat arbors, instal them first. YOu will need to instal a faux grip in order to facilitate turnign the blank while wrapping, turning teh bare blank wil cause your hand to cramp/hurt. Completely finish the wrap before installing the grip, you do not want any divots becasue when you slide teh grip over grit will get in there and you won't be able to remove it. YOu also do not want any Rod Bond to get stuck in a divot. Installing grips over a finished wrap often leaves scratchmarks, so plan to have to put one additional coat after grips are installed. Sometimes I dont' have to, sometimes I do.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: September 25, 2009 09:59AM

I do like Billy but I cheat when using Hypalon or EVA grips. I size them to fit tight and make sure they are very clean on the inside. After the wraps are done and have a couple of coats of finish on them I install the grips. The grips are installed in the usual way EXCEPT for my choice of adhesive. I use whatever I have been using to cover the wraps. That way the grips get installed and the wraps get another coat of finish all at once. No problems with scratched wraps! I've done this on standup tuna rods and have never had a grip move. Just make sure the grip fit snug and use plenty of finish. Don't skimp.

Posted by: Joe Doyle (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2009 06:45PM

Thanks guys for your feedback. I just ordered some Madeira yesterday, so I plan on starting something from Billy's book later this week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster