I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Refinishing Fully Cured Butt Wrap
Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 04:28PM

Hello, everyone! Just a quick question for you all.

I have a couple of rods with very nice long decorative butt wraps upon which the rigors of party boat fishing has taken its toll. In other words, scratched and generally ratty looking. Luckily, the epoxy is thick over the wrap. Any problems with sanding down an old butt wrap and redoing it?
These were, I believe, done with Aftcote. I've sanded down during the building process itself, in order to level out lumps, etc., always with good results, but haven't tried it over older, fully cured, epoxy. Any advice welcome.

Thanks,
Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Refinishing Fully Cured Butt Wrap
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 05:01PM

Charles...I can't imagine that not being fine as long as you follow the old rule...stop before you get to the thread! Might clean it up well with soap and water before starting, rinsing well and drying afterward.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 05:05PM

no need to sand it, just use a scotch-bright pad so the new sticks good to the old

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mond.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 05:58PM

I have coated over some pretty ugly stuff, and it has always turned out fine. Clean the old epoxy well with alcohol before you skuff it so you dont grind conaminants into it.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 23, 2009 09:15PM

Charles:

I would try buffing the scratches out with Burchwood @#$%& Stock Sheen. This is very fine polishing compound. I have used it to buff scratches out of plastic lenses on car headlight covers. I just finished cleaning up a fairly nasty looking Fenwick Glass rod using it. If this doesn't give you the look you want, clean the area with alcohol, scuff the area with a Scotch Bright pad, and recoat it.

Date: September 24, 2009 03:10PM

Thanks for the advice, folks. Great as usual!
Chuck

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 03:40PM

Aftcote is the worst finish to use over Dec Wraps. IT has teh habit of picking up paint and turning white when rubbed on aluminum rails, and it is extremely "soft" when compared to other finishes resistance to scratching.

Dpending on how deep the sratches go, you might find that coating them will not remove teh scratches...as some of teh scratches might actually be paint from the rail. Not hard to tell, if you put some water on teh wrap th scratches should "disappear", the same way it will when finish is aplied over it.

Date: September 24, 2009 05:02PM

Billy, I thoughtyou liked Aftcote? Or do you mix it with a harder finish like Threadmaster? I can't remember. I like Aftcote primarily because in my case, at least, it tolerates heat well, and, rightly or wrongly, I tend to flame my wraps a bit heavily. I found that the Threadmaster was clear and very hard, but when overheated, atleast in my case, left a sort of "grabby" finish. Maybe that's just how it is, though, I haven't really used it a lot.
I may try it when/if I sand this one down, assuming it will goon over Aftcote.

The scratches in this one are pretty deep, like the blank probably got tossed against another one,or dragged or something. The deckhands on some of the boats out here are a bit less than careful when handling rods. I cringe when I see them grab a handful and just toss them in a rubber trash can when the scrub the blood off the walls. I try to get mine away from that action. Probably should start using rod socks on the ones I have grown sort of attached to.

BTW, a couple of days ago I learned that it is NOT a good idea to fish for yellowfin tuna using 15 pound test and a very light live bait rod. An hour and 20 minutes after hooking him, my 58 year old bicep, small on the best of days, felt like it was going to burn off! LOL I landed him, though, about a good 35 pounder. (Most were about 15 pounds so I thought I'd have a go at it). That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

CH

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 24, 2009 07:07PM

I never said I used Aftcote on Dec WRaps, only on guide wraps. And yes, even on teh guide wraps I mix it wih TM. On Wraps its' 100% TM. I also heat, and ften overheat, but I dont' run into that problem. I use a Propane torch and sometimes smoke will come off and the epoxy will drip, but never do I get the excess bubbles from boiling.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster