I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Lakes Salmon Blank?
Posted by: Tony Schollmeier (---.ftm-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 11:18PM

Alright, I can't seem to find quite what I'm looking for with the search. I'm building a rod for a friend's wedding present. Its going to be used to casting spoons and spinners, primarily from piers on Lake Michigan for Salmon. I know it needs to be long (probably 8'-9') but am not quite sure what line rating the rod should have. I think he's fishing 50lb braid on a spinning reel. Would something in the 10-20lb class work or would need to be in the 15-25lb range?

If anyone who does this type of fishing could point me in the general direction that'd be great! (I mostly fly fish or fish bait for cats)

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Lakes Salmon Blank?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 12:00AM

I have fished the southern part of Lake Michigan for some time. Myself, I like an 8' 6" rod. I use a St Croix, 2C86MHF2, blank. It has a line rating of 8 -17 lbs. This is a med. heavy rod. Works well for the Steelhead, Coho, and Kings here.

[stcroixrods.com]

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: September 19, 2009 02:34AM

TONY TAKE A LOOK AT THE BATSON RDR BLANKS...RDR80M OR THE RDR86M...BOTH WOULD FIT THE BILL NICELY...THEY ARE ALSO ON SALE AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL THORUGH SATURDAY...HERE A LINK CHECK THEM OUT
[www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 03:23PM

I made a couple out of the batson ip907 and ip908 4 piece fly blanks.

these rods are a little light for the purpose though. In the chicago area guys throw 1/2 oz spoons for coho and 3/4 oz for kings (it's king season now) a stiffer/faster rod would be better for those 3/4 oz spoons. Same applies for bigger crankbaits which we also use for the salmon.

the fly rods are good once the fish is hooked. especially steelhead. it's like having a 9ft shock absorber. even more important now that everyone fishes braid.

btw - 20-30lb powerpro is the standard line here for shore spin fishing the kings.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2009 12:47PM

My personal favorite for this is Batsons IST1143 the tip is fast enough to allow easy casting but still soft enough to allow a good hook set and protect the line in case he hooks a big king or coho. I also use mine for "chukin and duckin" with bait (spawn usually) in the spring. BTW the salmon should be biting in ST Joe right now with the recent rain... got to go.

Vic

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: September 22, 2009 06:29PM

For casting I would recommend the IST1144 for Kings. For a boat rod down rigger fishing I would recommend the RDR86MH. For Divers BP1024.

Rod Blank Model # Rainshadow IST1144F-M
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RGS12A-350
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GS17-GWG-C Thread down towards rear handle
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC13
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPZT06F05.5
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG07
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG10
7th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG12
8th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG16
9th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG25

Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.25-9.25-15.25-22.25-30.125-38.250-48.5-61-76.750

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster