I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide weights/specs? (and advice)
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 18, 2009 09:48AM

Where can I find complete specs on Fuji guides, especially weights?

I'm assuming (from what I have read) that keeping weight to a minimum is an important goal. Titanium is basically beyond my budget. I have two rods to pick guides for, rclb80xl and rclb70ml. Let's say I'll fish 20# and 40# on them. I need guides large enough to handle a Bimini twist on the main line with a surgeon's knot to a shock leader of about twice line strength. Reels are penn 525 and avet LX. So what would be the right size butt guides and the smallest guides to pass the required knots?

For the 80XL I was considering MNSG series and BHBHG for the 70ML. But maybe these guides are serious overkill? I am considering a sprial wrap but everytime I ask about single foot guides I'm cautioned that they'd likely to be damaged in storage/transport/etc. Too bad they stopped making the LBSG as they looked rugged enough.

So I'm a little stuck due to my ignorance. I suppose the MNSG with an underwrap is a safe choice. On the other hand maybe I'd be ruining the potential of the blanks? Maybe I should be looking at fly rod guides and no underwraps? But then I'm concerned about the guides standing up to any abuse. The rods will be used on party boats so abuse is a concern.

Thanks,
Russ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide weights/specs? (and advice)
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 10:54AM

On those blanks weight due to underwraps is absolutely no concern at all. Get teh guides you need that will last. IF you are hard on your equiptment, you will probably want HNSG's for teh ML, but imo I would use MN's. TO be quite honest, since I've started using the AMTAK Virtus Lite & Heavy guides, I would never use a MNSG or HNSG again. I also would never use an HB, rather the Titan Turbo.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:04PM

Everybody ties different knots. I think 10\'s or 12\'s would pass mine but I cannot speak for yours.

If you use single foot guides in a spiral wrap I think you will find that the very short leg ones like the larger fly guide types end up being harder to damage because they have less height to stick up and snag on something. But for your type rod I think I\'d stick with dbl. foots all the way out either on top or spiral.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:16PM

My permit rods (lighter) have #8 running guides with 30# braid and 40# leader. My tarpon rods (heavier) have #10 running guides with 50# braid and 80# leader. No problem at all passing the required knots ... TONS of room to spare.

My permit rods and tarpon rods have BMNAG, CMNAG, MNSG or ICMNSG, all double leg - ZERO problems. They are MUCH tougher than most would expect.

So ... my advice would be to use #8 running on the 80XL and #10 running on the 70ML.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 05:21PM

Glad to know MNSG is still a good choice. I was planning on 8's and 10's for the running guides and I'll get a 25 too.

That only leaves thread and finish to mess up. I won Billy's "3 worst colors" contest so you never know:) I'm putting my money on the finish (darn gremlins).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster