I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sealing cork grips
Posted by: Jim Barnes (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 09:42AM

I was once told that there is a "home brew" sealer for cork grips. I know there are per-make products out there but does anyone the what the home make stuff is and which is better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sealing cork grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 01:55PM

Thompson's Water Seal is about the only thing I can think of. Personally, I don't put anything on my cork grips.

Posted by: Scott Armstrong (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:00PM

I've used Thompson's and haven't had any problems yet.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 09:56AM

That's funny, I have seen there commercials and was wondering about the stuff. made for out door use.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 02:38PM

I use U-40 Cork Sealer. It helps keep the cork clean. Thompson's Water Seal also works.

If you want to see what the cork will look like when the sealer is applied, just wet it:. That's how it will look (minus the wet-look shine).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2009 02:39PM by Gary Henderson.

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 20, 2009 01:09PM

I use miniwax golden pecan or colonial maple stain. I put it on the cork and then sand the cork dry with 300, then 500, then 600 sandpaper., turning the cork on a cork lathe The sanding creates a sludge that penetrates the holes and imperfections in the cork. I let that dry, then hand rub a coat of true-oil into the cork, which seals the cork and keeps the stain from coming off in your hand. The result is a much better looking piece of cork; I wouldn't do this if the cork is good, but I can't afford good cork any more. The grip is not slick, even when wet; has a nice feel and looks good, but i understand some people hate it-p-

Posted by: Michael Newby (---.telkomadsl.co.za)
Date: September 20, 2009 01:44PM

Hi Gene

Do you have any photo's of such a grip you did? Would love to see what it came out like. Sounds like an option.

I use U-40 most of the time, but have also made my own mixture using different polymer sealers...works the same as U-40. Playing around with the concentration, results in a grip that comes out more shiney, or more dull, depending on what look I am going for. Also never slippery when wet...and it prevents the pits from falling out, and keeps the cork in better shape over the years.

Mike

gene bethea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use miniwax golden pecan or colonial maple
> stain. I put it on the cork and then sand the
> cork dry with 300, then 500, then 600 sandpaper.,
> turning the cork on a cork lathe The sanding
> creates a sludge that penetrates the holes and
> imperfections in the cork. I let that dry, then
> hand rub a coat of true-oil into the cork, which
> seals the cork and keeps the stain from coming off
> in your hand. The result is a much better looking
> piece of cork; I wouldn't do this if the cork is
> good, but I can't afford good cork any more. The
> grip is not slick, even when wet; has a nice feel
> and looks good, but i understand some people hate
> it-p-

Date: September 20, 2009 02:39PM

here's one with golden pecan;

colonial maple:

I just dont make very good pics, but maybe you get the idea-p-

Date: September 20, 2009 02:53PM

here's one I'm staining today with golden pecan; its an old shakespeare from the 60's; cork was broken; just wanted to make it fisheable

The cork was in terrible shape; but after sanding, applying the stain and the true-oil, it will last a little longer-p-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2009 02:54PM by gene bethea.

Posted by: Mark Shenton (120.16.119.---)
Date: September 20, 2009 10:32PM

Mark Fisher put me on to Tru-Oil. Great stuff. You will find it at your local gunsmith ... or the supermarket if you live in Texas ;o)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster