I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima guides
Posted by: Richard Cake (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 11:56AM

Hi this is my first thread on here so here goes.
I am a new rod builder in the UK.
I'm looking for the 'best' guides I can get for a plugging rod for the UK market.
I've been looking at Pac-Bay's minima guides (model T). I have read the thread on the TiCH wearing through with interest.
My customer is looking at the Black/TiGold design, how hard wearing is the TiGold?
I know eventually it is going to wear through, but are we talking moths or years here?
The guides are to be used in salt water conditions, with braid or mono.
The reason we looked at the minima was for the lighter and less 'bulky' appearance. Quite often small swivels are used and cast through the guides so a chance of knocking on the liner wall.
Out of the Pac-Bay range available, which are the hardest wearing liner in the model T minima guide?
The rods/guides will most probably be usedup to 5 times a week on session s of up to 8 hours.
Can anyone recommend another range available in the UK or of a higher 'wear' value?
Thank you in advance for any help.
Richard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2009 12:04PM

These are fairly new to the custom rod market so I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer. They just haven't been around long enough in this market for anyone to really know what they're going to look like after a few seasons of use. I'm afraid you're going to have to do your own research via on the water use in order to get the answers you want.

They have been in use for a couple decades on commercially produced rods and the manufacturer says they have little to no problem with ring grooving or wear.

Date: September 17, 2009 12:07PM

Thank you.
It was the Tigold that we were afraid would wear through first over the TiCH liner.

Date: September 17, 2009 12:08PM

I don't rely on coatings for surface wear. The only Minima guides I've used are the Minima 4 in plain chrome/stainless.

Date: September 17, 2009 12:13PM

Would that be the XT4XG minima's?
Has anyone had any problems with the chrome and salt water corosion?

Date: September 17, 2009 12:15PM

I would assume they would corrode at the same rate as any other stainless steel/chrome guide. Other than titanium framed guides, all guides are going to rust in saltwater if you don't take care to prevent it.

Date: September 17, 2009 12:27PM

What titanium guides would you recommend in the style of the minima's?

Date: September 17, 2009 12:39PM

There are none.

Date: September 17, 2009 12:40PM

Thank you, you have saved me searching for something that doesn't exist.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 07:47PM

Richard -
This, I think, is as close as you will come - American Tackle titanium frame guides with their "ring lock" design. Not exactly like the Minima guides as they are only protected (over wrapped) by the frame on one side while the Minimas are inset on both the leading and trailing edges of the ring. They only come with bare (uncoated) titanium frames but they do offer a model with gold inner ring.

URL: [www.americantackle.us]

For sale through MudHole (and others).

Ken

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 17, 2009 09:02PM

Other than Fuji Gold Cermet, I haven't found much in a gold color that will endure saltwater exposure. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and directly asking if they were tested for saltwater use AND the results.

Date: September 18, 2009 12:06AM

Thank you for the comments.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster