I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

home made thread carriage
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:31PM

I have made a thread carriage and having trouble keeping tension on the spool. i am using a 1/4 threaded rod with washers, nuts, spring, wing nut and tried binder clip. The problem i am having is when i start wrapping a guide everything starts turning even the wing nut. Anyone who has made a thread carriage could you give some advice to help with this problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: home made thread carriage
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:38PM

Try using screw head covers on both ends of the screw and LARGE paper clips instead of wing nuts (quicker and won't move on you) [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:40PM

Do you have nylon or plastic washers next to the spool or metal? I would suspect plastic is better next to the spool. You might consider some epoxy or double nuts on the threaded rod where it is attached to the base. You need to keep the rod from turning as well. Just some ideas to try.

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:47PM

I made my own as well. Try nylon wing nuts from the large home inprovement stores. I melted a little notch inside the threads on the top part of the nut. This will allow you to still thread it down on the rod and it will stay snug.

Steve

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:54PM

Plastic washers can be cut to size needed from bleach bottles and milk jugs

Date: September 16, 2009 12:54PM

I have tried nylon and metal washers. The spring and washer turns then the wing nut starts turning. The rod does not turn. I will try the screw head covers. I made this for madeira thread. My other thread carriage the madeira thread spools were to long for the shorter rod on my Pac Bay Wrapper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 12:57PM by Roger Rierson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2009 01:01PM

You need to file some flats on opposite sides of your threaded rod. Then use a matching washer between the spool washer and wingnut. This will absolutely prevent the wingnut from turning as the spool turns.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 01:27PM

Yep--Tom has it nailed I looked at my old @#$%& and there is a flat on the rod as well as a matching washer.

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 01:54PM

I use lock type wing nuts and nylon washers on both sides of the spool, works every time.
Can be had from Ace hardware store.

Date: September 16, 2009 02:18PM

Thanks for all the replies. My Neighbor is filing the threaded rod as i speak. Again thank you for all the help.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 02:30PM

Tom hit it. Basically set it up like a reel's drag system where the shaft is squared off on both sides.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: September 16, 2009 03:34PM

I took a bit different approach that works well for me:

Next to the spool is a nylon washer, then the tension spring (conical with large end toward spool), then another nylon washer.
For the primary nut, I took a 3/16"x1.5" fender washer and drilled the hole with a 1/4-20 tap. This spins on and off the threaded rod very quickly.
After that I use a nylon wingnut to lock the "washer nut" in place.

This setup does not move and is cheap and easy to make.

Walt

Posted by: Bill Bauer (---.alaweb.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 03:47PM

Take a paper clip and straighten it out. Grasp the end with a pair of needle nose pliers and wrap the PC around the pliers forming a small loop in the end. You end up with about 3-4 inches of wire with a loop in the end. Place the looped end on the threaded rod between the last washer and the wing nut. Then when you spool off the thread the PC leg will spin till it contacts your table or the next spool holder and will stop spinning and the wing nut will not spin.

Cheers

Bill Bauer

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 05:22PM

Here is another option. Works great for me.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 10:28PM

You can flip the spool around so that it spins the wing nut in the opposite direction. Actually I find that it tightens itself to the "perfect" tension and then stops turning the wing nut.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 09:27AM

Steven, thanks for saying what I (as a newbie) was afraid to say. Your solution was so obvious to me that I thought there must be some reason it should not be tried. I was thinking maybe some kind of undesirable thread twist would result, something everyone but me knows about.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 09:32AM

I take my wing nut and washers and sand them as smooth as posible. 500-600 wet sand paper. Then take a pare of pliers and grab the threaded rod firmly - move it back and forth as to ruffen the threads up. This way the wing nut goes on snugly and will not move. All washers have to be as smooth as a baby's , well you know.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 17, 2009 02:23PM

The LARGE paper clips (in Jay Hunt's and my links) allow for IMMEDIATE tension adjustments (especially when working with different height spools)and cannot unscrew and you can get a pack of about 40 for $5 or less at any office supply store.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 07:06PM

Go to the hardware store and ask for a "collar" and thumb screw (not a set screw).
Basically it is a short spacer 1/4 - 3/8 in long with a threaded hole drilled in the side .
Ask for 1/4" or 5/16" I.D. hole in the colloar itself. (as the rod is threaded you might need the 5/16" I.D.)
You silide it over the threaded rod then tighten the thumb screw.
Easier still is buy a nylon spacer, drill the hole in the side, thread it and install a thumb screw.
I struggled for years with wing nuts and nylocn insert locking nuts. These collars are great!

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 05:55PM

All you need is to put a jam nut before your wing nut. Adjust the tension with the jam nut, hold it with your fingers and snug the wing nut to it and you are good to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster