I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrap length recommendation
Posted by: John Chlebana (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 11:10AM

Wondering if anyone could clue me in as to if there are any recommendations for what an adequate thread wrap length for the butt sections of a multipiece rod. Should the length of wrap be long enough to cover how far the male section fits into, or would a shorter wrap be acceptable....or none of the above?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrap length recommendation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2009 11:20AM

All you're really trying to do is prevent a split out at the edge of the female ferrule. I had given a rule of thumb in the book I wrote for Amato that has become the norm - wrap the ferrule a distance that is about 1-1/2 to twice the diameter of the ferrule at the opening point. Make the wrap a little more snug than you do your guide wraps.

Many manufacturers reinforce their ferrules and do not require a ferrule reinforcement wrap. Although adding one isn't going to harm anything.

Posted by: John Chlebana (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 02:08PM

Thank-you for your insight. Is there a way to tell if the ferrules are in fact reinforced?

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 02:24PM

Call the blank manufacturer and ask.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 08:53AM

While 1.5 times the diameter of the ferule opening is adequate for structural reinforcement, I usually make them a tad longer, and wrap them to match the guide wraps. If I am using an open spiral wrap between solid bands (on top of an under wrap), I do the same thing with the ferule. That way it doesn't look at all out of place.

Posted by: Bill Cason (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 12:33AM

The one exception to the 1.5 or two times rule of thumb could be a spey rod. these very long rods put a lot of stress on the ferrule. i generaly go for no less that a 2x wrap, and for a really long rod use a 2.5

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 19, 2009 03:09AM

Some blank makers re-enforce the ferrule section with a different colour coating than the main rod. I prefer to cover up the odd colour,
with a wrap as long as it takes. I feel this looks better than the transition of one blank colour to the other.

Where there is no discernable colour shift, then I follow the guidelines as per posts above. I try and made the ferrule wrap blend in, (length-wise), with the next guide's wrap if possible, for balance.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2009 08:16AM

If you read the RodMaker article ferrule wraps, where we talked to and printed the quotes from many of the rod designers from places like Seeker, Sage. St. Croix, Loomis, CTS, etc., you'll find that most no longer recommend a thread wrap of any kind on their ferrules. But unless you know for sure that your ferrule doesn't need one, I'd make one. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster