I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Question
Posted by: Heath Boeddeker (---.runestone.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 01:17AM

Howdy All,

I am new to rod building and I am thinking of building my own rod dryer. Cause of money being tight and I have a feeling that it would be easier then turning the rods every so often. My Question is this. Does anybody know of any good plans or where to find any I would like something powered naturally .Thank you in advance .

Heath

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Question
Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 01:30AM

I still use a BBQ rotisserie motor. $5.00 at a garage sale, trimmed the spit to about 4", manufactured a bushing from copper pipe and a mounting device from poplar wood. I clamped one of the 4 pronged meat holders to the end of the shaft and stretched rubber bands between opposing prongs to form a chuck. This particular one has been working fine for a couple years. It turns at about 4.5 RPM which has worked perfectly for me. This may sound confusing. I'll post or send a picture if I get a chance. Anything you can come up with to couple the rod to a slow turning motor will work, just keep it all level.

Steve

Date: September 15, 2009 02:46AM

Howdy Steve ,

Thanks for the info I will start looking around for a motor tomorrow. What would you suggest for holding the rod on that wouldn't mar or damage the blank while it is turning ? I used to do carpentry work so the woodworking end of this will be no problem for me LOL. If you send me a photo or two it would be appreciated e-mail address is renegade_cowboy_68@yahoo.com . Thanks for the Help Steve.

Heath

Posted by: Andrew Elmore (---.resnet.buffalo.edu)
Date: September 15, 2009 06:03PM

If you can't find a cheap rotisserie motor, a disco ball motor will work well - its what I'm using.

Date: September 15, 2009 06:08PM

Howdy Andrew,

Thanks for the advice but in my neck of the woods it will/would be easier to find the rotisserie motor . I don't think that Disco even got this far the first time around Andrew lol.

Heath

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 06:30PM

Go for it. I'm having fun scrounging & making my own tools. It is really fun to catch fish on a rod you made with tools, etc you scrounged up & made yourself.
Bill

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 08:07PM

Heath:

I started by hand turning my rods, and then bought a cheap drier. this was basicly a motor with a 2" PVC cap attached that had 3 bolts that you screwed in to hold the rod. The rod supports were made from wood. The base is: 2 3/4" square, and 3/4" thick. There is a groove cut in the middle, to fit a piece of 1/4' thick plywood (this is the up right for the support). there is a 1/2 circle cut in the middle of the top edge of this support that is padded with what looks like pool table felt glued in place. I don't know that this unit would work for some of the heavy salt water stuff, but it has turned many medium to ultra-lite spinning rods, and fly rods.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 08:10PM

Hello, everyone, I'm a newbie, too, and am in the process of getting my stuff together to start rod building. Did it years ago, but everything has changed so much, it is like starting from scratch. Anyway, I saw some ideas on chuck construction that can easily be done at home on items for sale under rod building equipment on that big online @#$%& site.. One in particular caught my eye- it was made of a good-size pvc pipe end cap, with rubber bands stretched cross the rod handle end to form "jaws' of a chuck. Another uses the same pvc end cap with bolts coming from the perimeter- like the thumb screws that hold a ceiling glass light globe in place.

Date: September 15, 2009 08:16PM

Howdy Mike,

Thank you for your knowledge Mike. I am just trying to get as much of the right eqiupment for this Hobby/business to have a fair chance at succes and happy building lol. Since I only fish freshwater up in the North Country . My Rods won't need to be as heavy as them there Saltwater Fishermen need Mike lol. I will probally be going on a scavenger hunt out at the farm stead tomorow seems to me I bought a couple old sewing machines at @#$%& sales awhile back from what I have seen on the Photo pages if I can find a pulley or some other way to run the chuck I should be able to make one up . Again Thanks Mike .

Heath

Date: September 15, 2009 08:20PM

Howdy Ray ,

Yeah I saw the kind you are talking about also . Just ain't sure how to attach one to a sewing machine Motor or a Rotissarre to get a slow enough RPM out of the sewing machine motor atleast .

Heath

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 08:24AM

Have seen lots of electrical configurations for just that issue on the "web" just google in sewing maching and reversing, speed adjustments using a rheostat (spelling?)

Chucks for holding rods a ton on this site and also check tools here. Do several different word searches here for what you want also.

mark

Date: September 16, 2009 09:13AM

Howdy Mark,

Thanks for the advice . You are right about the Web search I will use it and see what I can find . I reckon I was trying to take a short cut and tried to go straight to the good stuff on here before taking it out to the Web search engine/s . And spending who knows how long tracking it down through the numerous numbers of pages from the Web. Again Thank you Mark.

Heath

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:35PM

Look on the photo page here under TOOLS and you should get a lot of ideas. Also do a search here and type in dryer or something like that and select ALL DATES

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: September 16, 2009 10:36PM

Howdy Mike ,

Thanks I have been doing just that on the photo site But what I have found so far looks goodbut can't figure out how they attach the Chuck wether it be a PVC or anything else to the Motor side of it all Mike.

Heath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster