I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Perma Gloss Container Problem
Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: September 15, 2009 11:48PM

sorry guys, i have an new bottle of permagloss, and i am just wondering before i look for a can, why can i just install a screw in the cap of the current bottle it's in?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 11:50PM by Chris Tan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:06AM

I believe Tom could put you onto a guy that sells the cans as a kit.

Posted by: Tony Holland (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 08:30PM

As I was reading this..I was wondering if bloxygen would work in a case like this. I also use it for my tung oil and other finishes.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 05:07AM

One thing I have never figured out is why Perma Gloss has never packaged their product in a container that is user friendly? I mean a guy should not have to go out and buy a can and a screw just to keep his PG in. Why does it not come in a can with a screw if that's the best way to keep and use it? Just thinking out loud..............................

Still thinking..........................Why can't you just put a screw in the lid of the PG container like Chris Tan suggested? Sound like it would work to me.

Lastly, I bought a container of PG at the Rod Expo a couple years ago and I'm afraid to open it. I already have enough turmoil in my life!!!!....;-)

Good Night>>>>

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2009 08:24AM

There is no user friendly way to package PermaGloss. A can with a screw sticking out of it is a packaging and shipping nightmare.

Trondak has explored many options, including one-time use foil packets, certain plastics, etc. None have proven satisfactory.

It's a product whose technology currently outpaces that of packaging.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: September 17, 2009 09:21PM

PG would already be classified as DG, so that packing (can with screw) would probably be not suited to airlines requirement. ..

Rich, either you or myself will have to take the first step in trying the screw-in-cap.. problem is, with my humidity and temp, i thiink the method may not work too well for me..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:29AM

Tom,

Not exactly.

If you use the inner liner from the original PG lid (clear plastic cone seal) and apply that to a metal testors paint cap, tilt upside down after each use to re-seal the top with a thin PG layer, you can use up nearly every bit of a 4oz PG bottle. It's really simple: metal cap, same liner. You dont need a can, screw, or whatever else.

DR

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 08:57AM

DR I could use some clarificafication as to your use of a Perma Gloss bottle and Testors cap.

There is enough Perma Gloss in a four ounce bottle to do 50 or more inshore or bass rods

The first coat of Perma Gloss should have the original viscosity to insure thread penetration - thin

Several hours or even days needs to elapse before staging subsequent coats to build desired thickness

This means for each rod or set of rods done you will open the bottle multiple times and allow air to enter - as the bottle empties more and more air (moisture in my case 75% humidity common) enters which starts polymerization and product thickening.

If you open the lid 200 or more times - allow the air to enter - watch for thickening in the bottle

When you open the cap on the bottle how do you get 10 drops out? Pour? My shaking hands would probably pours out way way too much - the screw is my shut off and also metering valve -

I need the "can" in the house just as I need the Perma Gloss Can with screw in the shop for daily use.

Sheet metal screw in Testor cap works - Screw in plastic Perma Gloss cap will split the cap when you reinsert the screw and tighten.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 18, 2009 09:18AM

No screw in cap, just pour Bill.

Do I waste? yes.

Does mine get thicker? yes, but only when it gets very low in the bottle

Humid? YES, been mowing grass twice a week since spring,, seems to rain every day.

The metal cap just seals better period, Vise grips are often need to remove.

Pour fast, put cap back ASAP.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2009 08:26PM

DR

Send that tip to Trondak.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster