I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss - why Xylene?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2009 11:43PM

I'm trying to understand all that I can about permagloss.

Permagloss cures with moisture (H2O). So what is the purpose of Xylene in there?

Alternatively, what happens if I open a can on PG on the moon so that all the Xylene can evaporate but there is zero moisture to help it set?

Thanks.
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss - why Xylene?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:06AM

It wouldn't set. Moisture has to be present for that to happen.

PermaGloss actually contains 2 solvents. These are necessary to keep the solids in suspension but their evaporation alone will not cause those solids to cure in the the intended manner.

The base product has been altered by Trondak and although it is a moisture curing urethane, there is no other product exactly like it.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: September 14, 2009 01:51PM

Also Mo, keep in mind that if you set up your rod shop on the moon, your rods are probably going to be so expensive that nobody can afford them. Not even NASA employees with their moon travel discount.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 02:29PM

Tom Thanks!

Steve....good point. Did not think about that. Back to the drawing board. And to think I was so excited 'bout my brilliant idea.....sigh.

Ok, but what WILL the PG be like when the solvents are evaporated on the moon ? Anyone know? Why are the solvents in there?

(I ask in part because I'd like PG but in THICKER form.)

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2009 04:04PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2009 03:45PM

You need something to keep the solids in suspension.

If you want thicker PG, allow the portion you're going to use to set out for a few minutes prior to using it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 06:32PM

I routinely contol the viscosity of the Perma Gloss by leaving it in a tall small diameter shot glass - I have applied thickened coats two hours after putting the stuff in the container. You must remember that the thicker material will have more difficulty with tiny bubbles due to entrained out gassing of the solvent. You should not try to put another coat on top of the thickened materal for several days.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 07:03PM

Thanks Bill. What is the humidity in your shop if you know? I'd think in 2 hours, my PG would have hardened in the shot glass.

Also, when it does hardened, can you just pull the old PG off the glass or do you have to toss the shot glass?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:48PM

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alternatively, what happens if I open a can on PG
> on the moon so that all the Xylene can evaporate
> but there is zero moisture to help it set?

You won't get to the moon ... but for $30 million, you CAN go up to the Space Station and give it a whirl. The only bad news is that you will have to quit building rods for six months while training in Russia.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 10:30PM

Mo,
Bill is in Louisiana or the real La as we like to call it, so the humidity is relatively high.

Robert

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 15, 2009 08:19PM

The humitidy in my shop seldom drops below 50% - put some in a narrow bottom tall vessel to minimize the evaporative surface area - you will be surprised how long it will remain fluid - you probably would freak but when I get through I just dump some acetone in the thing and take a paper towell and quickly wipe it clean. I then walk outside into the fresh air with a "solvent induced" smile on my face and walk the dog. I will normally stand up in the front of a group of rodbuilders and make the following statement - Hi MY Name Is Bill and I Am A Perma Holic! Mo If you use enough of the stuff you can get high without going to the moon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 09:05PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 15, 2009 11:53PM

LOL! Everyone. Thanks.

Jim, just think though - I could probably WIN the casting distance contest with a 6' 6" rod since there's no atmosphere to slow the plug or line. Although for $30 million, I could just buy whoever's winning design and then some.

Bill. Thanks. Surely you jest right? I never work with that stuff with an organic filter mask. (I thank whoever it was who first alerted me to the dangers which proved timely with my first PG induced headache....:)

Thanks everyone.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster