I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Boy Do I Ever Feel Like A World Class Putz!
Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: September 13, 2009 05:11PM

Ok, I made a huge boo boo and need to know from the rod building gods out there if it is fixable. Here is what happened. I was trying to clamp my split grip with my reel seat to close the seam in a cork clamp, doing that will end up in the whole grip just sliding down the blank unless you stop the grip somehow. Last time I just put one of those squeeze spring clamps that look like a capital A on it but it didn't seem quite strong enough so this time I put a squeeze bar clamp on and for a moment I just got tunnel vision and just kept squeezing and "CRACK", i hear this tremendous sickening crack. I take the clamp off and sure enough there are two cracks on opposite sides of the blank, only about an inch and a half long, but you can squeeze them and feel give.

By the way this is on a 6' UL Mudhole custom builder series blank. Nothing wrong with the blank totally my fault, this is the third rod I am building on these blanks so I am not blaming the blank at all! Anyways, I was thinking that because it is an ultralite and the split is between the split grips that maybe I might be able to fix it by wrapping the whole section between the grips with thread and then cover it with a ridiculous amount of epoxy. I figured that since it is an ultralite that maybe I could get away with it. What do you think? I considered pouring epoxy down the butt of the blank, but I have no way to stop it at the split. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Boy Do I Ever Feel Like A World Class Putz!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2009 05:13PM

Find a thin walled blank that closely matches the taper of you what you have now and inner sleeve the section to a distance perhaps an inch or so beyond the crack. The light nature of the blank makes this a simple and effective repair. The hard part will be finding the scrap piece to use as a sleeve.

Posted by: Edwin Kime (208.189.34.---)
Date: September 13, 2009 05:29PM

You can cut a fiberglass blank section and slide it into the butt section of your rod so it goes about three inches past the splits and epoxy it into place. Fill in the butt section with epoxy so that the bottom is solid will also help make it stronger. Fill in the splits with epoxy using wraps to hold them together till they set.,then wrap this section with size "D" thread the epoxy over the thread should help hold this together. That should take care of your problem unless the rod is to badly damaged from thje pressure put on it.

Edwin Kime

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 09:42PM

Like Tom said, a scrap piece that matches the taper & fits inside is the best fix but if you
don't have any scrap or access to some, a piece of aluminum tubing of the right size
would work as well. Be glad the damage is behind the seat and not in front of it.
Bet ya won't do that again! We've all been there so don't beat yourself up.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 02:41AM

Thanks everyone, I just so happen to be lucky enough to have a scrap piece that fits, I was about to use it to make another reamer. Good thing I didn't. I think that all will work out well and boy am I glad that this lesson was learned on a 14.00 rod rather than the 125.0o one I did right before it. Wooo. Thanks again everyone, once again you all came through tremendously.
James

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: September 14, 2009 11:17AM

Next time you order from Mudhole get some of those unsanded blanks in lengths under 6ft and various diameters. They are $5 each and make awesome reamers, plus supplies for repairs and if under 6ft do not even cost extra on shipping.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 02:50PM

Next time - not that I know it all -- But put the butt handle on, mark, glue. Then when you put the seat on , trial fit. If it does not fit the top piece of the butt handle sand, clean, what ever to get a nice fit. Then when gluing have the seat fit the blank with a good SNUG fit. This way it is tight and fits well and will not move. No clamps necessary.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.bridgeband.net)
Date: September 16, 2009 12:12AM

Another thing that you can do to find inexpensive reports is to go to the good will or salvation army.

You can typically pick up old fishing rods for 25cents to 1 each.

You can chop them into pieces and use them as needed when a repair is needed.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster