I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how to promote custom rod business?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: September 13, 2009 02:54PM

Let me start off with these facts.
over 75% of my rod work is repair/restoration of classic cane rods
another 10% is graphite/glass repair
the remainder is custom builds.
Most of the new builds are for past clients who I've done work for.

my question is. how do I get my name/business out there for more custom work.
The area i'm in is very into fly rods which is great. there is only one fly shop in town and they do send me repair work.
I think it wouldn't be right to promote the custom business through them since they are also trying to sell some of the same manufacturers.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to promote custom rod business?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 13, 2009 02:58PM

One thought ... build those same high end fly rods with ceramic guides, custom turned reel seats, etc. Then you are welcome to design on the same blanks AND it would even benefit the shop to be able to offer "upgraded" choices.

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mnd.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 04:10PM

Dont bother with internet ads like Google ad words or the like. They are an expensive inefective waste IMHO.

Word of mouth is powerful thing, so make sure you give people business cards to hand their friends. Also, go talk to your local bait shops about placing a flyer. Make sure those bait shops have your card to hand customers when they come in and ask about repair and such.

Make sure that any ads that you pay for are placed at a time when people are looking. Around fishing opener or during peak seasonal bites.

Erick Krotzer- Milaca, MN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 04:41PM

Check out Tweeter and things like My Space on adds.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin merritt (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 04:57PM

One more that works well, talk to the busiest fishing guides in your area offer them a custom build or two(either free or cost of materials) offer some type of compensation for referrals, no comparison to word of mouth!

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 05:52PM

And a few more possibilities: Some states accept ads in their Rules and Regs booklets. Also, when I was starting out, I would go to the local fishing hot spots and put a business card on every car parked in the boat launch parking area.
I have photos on display in a local gun shop, along with business cards. Most outdoor sports people are not single-sport only. Kayak/canoe dealers are usually happy to put up a small display with a few photos and business cards. Same goes for places that sell bait and basic tackle, but not rods. Outdoor shows offer great opportunity, but they will cost you something to have a display there.
I also ran ads in local publications, like the PTA newsletter. $20 for a 1/4 page ad. Not a bad deal, given it brought me 6 builds.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2009 06:25PM

Gary , Put togeather a flier that you can hand out on the spur of the moment,like at a gas station, bait shop, launch ramp, any where you may meet someone that are going/comming from the lake ,stream, or bay.
In that flier list all that can possibly be done to repair or improve thier rod or to custom fit a rod to thier specifications.Also list your experience in the amount of time you have asscoiated with building and repair of fishing rods. Last but not least, ask them if they would lend their name to a list of refrences. Anyone that gets you a new prospect should be thanked by a note or mabey a bottle of wine. Keep the fliers in your car and if its appropreate, a hand shake and a smile go a long way. A true sportsman will respect your approch and who knows you may end up with a new client. Good luck,
Dennis J. Danku

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.26.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 08:40PM

I leave business cards at every marina that will let me. Strike conversations at boat ramps, find a fishing club and see if they would like you to give a talk on rod maint or construction.
Kevin made a great point as well. If there is a guide in the area that is well thought of and respected in the fishing community, make it a point to talk to him and see if he needs any repair work done. If you take care of him/her, they'll send their clients your way. I work with a guide on his spinning rods (all micro rods) and he has sent me numerous folks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2009 08:20AM

In this day and age you must have a website. It provides you with legitimacy. One of the first things a person interested in your work is going to do is look and see if you have a web presence.

If you move ahead with a website - keep it simple and to the point. Photos are better than text. The idea is to raise interest and have the potential customer contact you for details. You do not want a website that is so cluttered with pages of text that no one will bother reading it. Be short and to the point and use photos to illustrate your work.

Combine this with the other ideas given in this thread and you'll be doing about all you can do in this regard.

Posted by: dave schaub (63.241.190.---)
Date: September 16, 2009 08:59AM

Fantastic ideas folks. It always pays to ask on this site.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster