I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recovering From Idiocy
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 12:57PM

Okay, so I finally had some time to build a new rod for myself. I've got a Phenix X-11B crankbait blank that I've been really excited about. I tried spray painting the reel seat a transparent royal blue. Turned out awesome. Built the handle this week, prepped the guides on Friday night and got them taped on. Wrapped the guides yesterday a.m. and epoxied. It's looking cool! After about 3 hours of spinning, I start thinking to myself, "Ummmm......did I check the alignment of the guides?" Simple answer: "NO!" Doggonit! I've got to pull off all but 2 of the guides and re-do them. What an idiot.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recovering From Idiocy
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 01:04PM

I did the same thing with a reel seat a few weeks ago. I build on the straightest axis and the reel seat was definitely not lined up that way! Of course I didn't think of that until after the epoxy had dried.

I think I'm gonna make myself a checklist...

jeremy

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 01:33PM

It is easy to forget the simple things, or overlook them when your behind the poercurve. I think a checklist is the way to go. I might add that to my list of things to do. It @#$%& having to work to support my rodbuilding........lol

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 02:26PM

I put masking tape on different sections of the blank to remind me that this aligns with that, guides are this way.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 03:20PM

Aaron, I did it about two months ago. I usually leave the rod on the wrapper and only put it on the finish rack when the guides are aligned. I got in a hurry to start a new build so I finished one that needed 5 of the 9 guides to be removed and re-wrapped. I feel your pain!

Chuck

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 13, 2009 04:48PM

Aaron,
I imagine nearly every one of us have been there, so don't sweat it. I've done it myself, but got lucky because the guides were mostly straight. p

Robert

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 05:23PM

Okay, 6 removed and re-wrapped guides later, I am spinning again. Hopefully I'll get to try her out on Tuesday.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 13, 2009 06:51PM

Aaron, Write down all the things you screw up while rodbuilding for the next 20 years and you'll have the prefix to your very own "A Lifetime or Rodbuilding" then for the rest of your life you can work on gathering the content. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES!!!
Rodbuilding is the longest apprenticeship , right up there with Art and Music. You'll never stop learning so, just take it on the chin and add it to the list.
Dennis J. Danku

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.26.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 09:47PM

I had a pretty mild case of the flu earlier but stayed home from work. I got bored and started wrapping a spinning rod I'd been working on. My wife saw it when she got home and asked why did I spiral wrap a spinning rod. I had to remove all of them and start over.
3 weeks ago, I starting wrapping a casting rod and when I sighted them in I noticed I put the guides on backwards. The first 2 guides were on right but the rest were wrapped smallest to largest.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 14, 2009 06:53PM

Thanks guys! Glad I am not the only one! My biggest stupid act was when I hounted my first reel seat to a nice split grip handle 7". Well, I had the threaded lock to the spinning seat threaded all the way down. I epoxied (and used a lot , of course) the loct onto the threads butted against the handle. I had to cut it off. Ended up with a nice 5.5 foot crappie rod!!

I am always cutting off thread. My wife is the actual builder in my family. She loves all the ups I make!!
Kyle Robinson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster