I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bending Abalone tricks??
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 08:30AM

Decided to try my first abalone shell inlay rod. Got the abalone and cut it out. Soaked it Vinegar and all was well till I got toward the tip of the rod. The last three guides going up the rod I can't seem to bend the abalone with it cracking. I rotating the rod very slowly and apply gentle pressure as I turn and every time I get 1/4 the way around the shell cracks. I even tried cutting it differently and it still cracks. Anyone have any tricks for the smaller diameters near the tips? The blank is a 30-60 pound trolling blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2009 08:32AM by Craig Freeman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bending Abalone tricks??
Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 09:10AM

Craig,
Take your time and i will go on fine. The more you work with it, the easier it is to bend it. You will get a feel for working with it. You can soak the veneer longer to give it more flexibility.

Email me at kknox@anglersenvy.com if you have any other questions.

Kevin

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:03AM

Forgive my ignorance on this technique, but what happens to such a section of abalone when flexed along the length of the blank in the upper portions of the rod? Does this not crack or break the abalone? Does it retain its flexibility? Sounds very beautiful.

Date: September 12, 2009 11:37AM

Barry,
You are forgiven. The abalone will flex to a certain point. When you do my process, the veneer is softened by removing calcium from the shell.... Like a soft crab that sheds its shell, it is void of calcium and supple. In my process, I incorporate pre flexing of the blank to create mobility in the shell. There will be hairline cracks in faster action blanks, but on offshore trolling rods, they will be minimal.

Kevin

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 06:56PM

Thanks Kevin for the reply. I had it soak over night and still broke it I cut more and they have been soaking now for almost 40 hours. I'm going to try again after dinner. Mabe I just didn;t go slow enough.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.26.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 09:38PM

With all respect to Kevin, I buy the heat and roll type veneer and call it a day.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:48PM

Just give it some more soak time for the smaller diameter sections and for smaller blanks.

I find that for smaller blanks, 48 - 72 hours is usually good for the thinlam version.

Date: September 12, 2009 11:08PM

matthew jacobs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all respect to Kevin, I buy the heat and roll
> type veneer and call it a day.

Its the same veneer that you get from mudhole. The only difference is the method for bending. I am actually finalizing a new process that makes my method and Mudholes method a thing of the past. 20 minutes from template to rod with thin lam and 5 minutes for raw veneer. And when it goes onto the rod, its like masking tape being applied!!!

K

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster