I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning metal parts on a wood lathe??
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:58PM

The beautiful metal pieces that Mike Blume posted on the photo page got me thinking about how nice it would be to turn my own winding checks, etc. I have a nice wood lathe....don't really have the room or $$ for a metal lathe. Does anyone else turn on a wood lathe? I am looking to turn aluminum. Any tips on tools, etc?

Thanks

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning metal parts on a wood lathe??
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:26PM

Hard to do on a wood lathe. Attachments for holding the tools, etc., are going to be difficult.

But there is an alternative - stay tuned to the next issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.meganet.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:40PM

I will be looking forward to the article! I have both types and can see turning wood on a metal lathe but not the opposite! Tom must have an idea on a toolholder!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:10PM

Scott I've turned over a dozen ink pens out of aluminum bar stock with my wood lathe. A standard scraper and skew is all I used and it was just a little more time consuming than turning Trustone which is comprised of 80% pulverized stone. I have an inexpensive set of tools just for turning aluminum pensthat I purchased from Penn State Ind. You will need a dedicated buffing wheel set up to use the metal polishing compounds that are needed to get a nice shine. Polishing metal will turn your buffing wheels black in no time.

Lance

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:14PM

Lance, you aren't using a standard wood lathe tool rest to turn aluminum pens, right?

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:46PM

Hi, Scott
Mike here, turning the 11/8 in. stock on my wood lathe was kinda slow but it did work. All I used were my wood tools. I'm trying to come up with something to hold smaller bits. Thing about epoxying and pinning a steel sleeve into a wood handle to insert the bit into and hold the bit in with set screws. I used a standard tool rest. The rod was for myself but a coworker I showed it to gave me money to start him one. So I can't wait for the Rodmaker article, hint hint Tom if you're reading, you have my email.
Your tools will need sharpened more often, just grab some scrap and give it a try, just go slow and easy they will grab. Also I drilled my pieces first and super glued them to my mandrel, worked out pretty well.

Good luck and good fishing
Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 10:30PM

Yes, the standard tool rest that came with the lathe.

Posted by: Michael Newby (---.telkomadsl.co.za)
Date: September 16, 2009 07:42PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hard to do on a wood lathe. Attachments for
> holding the tools, etc., are going to be
> difficult.
>
> But there is an alternative - stay tuned to the
> next issue of RodMaker.
>
> ...........

I'd love to see the article, but can't get the magazine here in South Africa! (No overseas subcriptions available). I wish I could get it here.
Any chance of sending me a PDF file Tom? Or posting it on here after the mag hits the subscribers?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2009 12:17PM

Sorry no. The subscribers would no reason to subscribe if I did that and we'd have to stop developing these new techniques.

Posted by: Michael Newby (---.telkomadsl.co.za)
Date: September 20, 2009 12:50PM

Hi Tom

Yep...I understand...but here's MY problem: I'd LOVE to subscribe, but can't as you don't allow overseas subscriptions. So basically, I'm screwed in terms of seeing the article you talk about in the next issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster