I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver question
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:48PM

I'm looking for opinions here: Which color preserver causes the least amount of change in the color of the thread to which it is applied?

I use a good deal of Metro brand poly thread in my weaves and for under wraps. Like Madeira, it is silicon treated and requires a color preserver. I have been using Flex Coat brand, but the colors come out darker after the preserver dries. I'm looking for something that will allow the true thread color to be maintained.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver question
Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:38PM

That is the first I have heard of Metro Thread. Just out of curiosity what lead you to use it?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:41PM

If you're putting light colored thread over a dark colored blank, the thread is going to lose a shade no matter what brand CP you use.

Date: September 11, 2009 09:06PM

Metro is virtually identical to the other brand. Not quite as many colors, but still lots. Great quality, and the price is even better, at $0.75 for 1,100 yard spools.

Date: September 11, 2009 09:09PM

Tom, this sometimes happens even on thread that is wrapped over another color. Thread brand doesn't seem to matter.

Years ago my teacher used a solvent-based CP. It worked great short term, but in the long term colors faded pretty badly. I'm just wondering what people's favorite brands are, and why they like them.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 11:21PM

I just sold the last of the old Gudebrod 811S/Brilliance2. THat was by far teh best CP as far as retaining colors. NExt on the list is THreadMAster CP, but people have had some issues with it repelling epoxy - I didn't, but a few people have. Other than that FC & U40 CP is acceptable, I haven't tried some of teh other CP's that are on teh market, so there might be a gem I'm missing (I have so much 811S I don't really care anyway).

One thing is for sure, do not trust anyone's opinions when it comes to what brand of CP is best. I've read stuff about CP which is flat out awful on here, so make sure whatever you get you test yourslf before using it.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 10:39AM

I thought I was losing my mind/doing something really wrong but I have had problems with Chromaseal repelling epoxy as mentioned in this thread. Isn't CP absolutely the last thing that should do this? Had not questioned it in this venue because I had convinced myself that it was my fault somehow. Replaced bottle I was using/different brushes/allowed more drying time....those have not corrected the problem.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2009 12:16PM

No, CP should certainly not repel the finish. But some products take time to perfect. Sometimes such perfection is the result of a lot of lab and field testing. Other times it happens after the product is released and thousands of people begin using it. Any problems quickly raise their head once in the hands of the consumers. This is the sort of thing that users should bring to the attention of the maker - it helps him improve the product.

Posted by: Erick Krotzer (---.dsl1.mnd.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 05:52PM

I just bought a bottle of U-40 Color Lock 2. It is by far and away a better product than the Flex Coat CP I have used in the past. The U-40 does not darken the thread as much, and there is no dull buttery coating on my wraps after it dries. Now that I know that there is a huge difference in products, I plan to keep experementing with other brands.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 06:41PM

I have used Threadmaster CP a lot and haven't had any issues of it repelling the epoxy finish. Maybe I have missed it on this forum. I use 2 coats and let it dry at least 24hrs before putting on the finish.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 11:27AM

Try Acid Rod for that - good - 911. he may still have it.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster