I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preparing small guides...
Posted by: Bobby Newsom (209.149.145.---)
Date: September 11, 2009 03:41PM

Okay, I've searched on this, but couldn't find a good thread that answered this for me. I'm about ready to start preparing the guides for placing on the rod. Is there a trick to handling (holding) the guides while filing/sanding/dremmeling the guide feet? I'm using size #6-#8 guides, so they're kinda small to hold in my left hand while using a tool on them with my right.

Anyone have another suggestion for how to do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preparing small guides...
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 04:21PM

Bobby, I made a tool from a Nylon bolt to hold little guides while I dress them. I turned the threaded part down til it just fit through the insert. Rounded off the head and also made it thinner. I then cut a little notch in the head so it would fit around the guide leg. I left the head larger in diameter than the guide ring. You hold the nylon stem while filing or grinding. The head of the bolt completely covers the guide ring and leg for protection. The notch keeps the guide from turning on the Nylon stem while you dress it. The only thing protruding past the head is the guide foot. Kinda hard to describe it and I didn't take a photo of it. Hope it makes sense to you.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 04:22PM

You can use a nylon bolt and nut or you can buy something like this [www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 04:25PM

Bobby....lots of ways. A nylon macine screw and nut works well for the sizes you mentioned. Carry a size or two to local hardware dealer..pick a screw size that fits ring closely. On the smaller 3s and 4s I use a pair of square jawed mini pliers that I glued inner tube rubber to the jaw faces to both grip and protect ring while prepping. Faster than using the screw and nut-no threading and unthreading. May be able to hold them securely just using the screw and no nut.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 04:32PM

Forgot to mention this - I found a nylon tipped tweezers used to hold small beads at a craft store. It has recesses in the sides and works pretty good for 3mm guides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 04:32PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:03PM

Nylon Bolt See Here [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:03PM

Locking forceps.

DR

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 06:43PM

Swearing a lot is part of my routine. I have huge hands.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 08:08PM

I, too, have large hands. Never tried the nylon bolts. I pinch the guide ring, so that it lays flat between the thumb and fore finger, with the foot or feet resting on the finger tip of my thumb and/or the side of my finger. This exposes the guide foot perfectly for filing, and suppports it amazingly well. Hold the file in the other hand. Sometimes I move the guide foot down the file. Sometimes I stoke the file acoss the guide foot. The main thing is to move in the right direction. Files only cut in one direction. You can feel when they are cutting properly. It only takes a few correct strokes to remove quite a bit of material. Go slowly and move in one direction. If you go back and forth, back and forth, it wll dull the file, and not remove material from the guide foot very well.
I have been able to hand hold down to a size 04 ceramic SF with no real hassle. Do have to be careful not to file off bits of my finger tips...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2009 08:09PM by George Forster.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.26.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 12, 2009 09:35PM

Gary Henderson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Swearing a lot is part of my routine.

Yes sir that and some single barrel.

Posted by: Bobby Newsom (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 09:00AM

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of the nylon bolt. Gonna be going by Lowe's on the way home from church today; I'll see if I can find what I need there.

Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2009 11:18AM

I use the nylon - recessed head- bolts from Home Depot. They can be found in the bolt section in the draws under all the nuts and bolts. Cheap. or pick up the guide holding tool from one of the sponsors.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: September 14, 2009 04:29AM

I found another device for holding small single foot guides that I prefer to the nylon bolts.

There is a bit that comes with most Dremel type tools as well as the large assorted Dremel type accessory kits which has the screw in the end with 2 nylon washers for holding the thin cutting discs.It works just like the Mudhole tool but instead of a full handle there is just the shaft that usually goes in the end of the Dremel tool.I usually just hold on to the shaft and this bit allows me to hold small single foot guides pretty tight without damaging them.

I thought about making a little handle for it but the tool from Mudhole looks great and is pretty inexpensive so I think I will be getting one of them soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster