I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stacking blanks and re-using handles
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:06AM

A friend who recently lost his job also just broke a rod in two places. He asked me what I could do about it and I told him that I could re-use the guides and hook keeper, and possibly the tip top. Anything I had on hand would not be an issue, epoxy, thread and such. Without going into detail, he can't afford anything other than the blank and I can't afford any more than things I've got on hand. The broken rod is a Kistler carbon steel spinning rod. The old rod is quite thick at the end of the rod, the new blank is thinner. The new blank measurement at the end of the blank is just a touch thinner than the broken rod at the top of the reel seat. Can a good rod be built by re-using the handle section slipped over the new blank with the old blank still in place, if it fits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stacking blanks and re-using handles
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.gatcf.jcu.edu.au)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:23AM

Short answer, yes. If it fits of course. You want about 4 inches or so of overlap for a solid connection.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:28AM

Geez, when people can't afford something they usually own ugly stiks, not high end factory rods.

Date: September 11, 2009 09:31AM

I'm not trying to extend anything, just to re-use the old handle to save money, but I don't want to do that if it'sgoing to fail in the end. My intention is to take the handle section and use it and the reel seat to make a split grip, and the middle section of the split grip that gets cut out will be moved to the front of the reel seat. Buddy always said it was uncomfortable fishing with no foregrip on a spinning setup, like this kistler has. I cannot find a picture of this grip, it's a full cork grip, not like the half and half grip that you find when you look on other sites.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 09:56AM

Billy, they got the rod when times were good.

Date: September 11, 2009 10:04AM

Terry Morrell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Billy, they got the rod when times were good.

Yup, he just got laid off a job he's had for ten years, the rod broke just two weeks ago.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 10:36AM

Where are the breaks. You could just repair the blank. The article in the library is an excellent reference....might be fun to do also.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: September 11, 2009 10:40AM

There are two breaks, one is three inches from the top, and the other is five inches above the stripper guide.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 11:03AM

I would guess an oversleeve for the break near the tip and possibly an internal sleeve for the lower break...just have to read the article and play with it.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:06PM

That "High END" of a rod, in your friends financial condition would be WORTH repairing if you do it correctly according to Ralph's article in the library above. If you need fiberglass scrap to do the repair I can help there just shoot me an email!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:24PM

If you really just want to build a new one - cut off the handle and ream it to fit (this is messy reaming graphite - more so to me than reaming plain cork). Slide it over the new blank. Be some extra weight, but the old blank would just be functioning as an arbor.

Biggest issue I could see is no telling what is under the handle now between the cork and the blank. Could be masking tape, only epoxy, etc. That could present a new host of issues.

You could also boil it and slide the handle off the blank - reuse reel seat too if it fits the new blank.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 01:12PM

If it is broken above the stripper guide, you could make a telescopic rod assuming you could find a blank with the right taper. Guide placement should not be a problem.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:03PM

I had some details wrong in the information. There was a sliver of the blank that hung on to the top end and took some graphite with it down to the top of the stripper guide wrap. Any info on how to fix the sliver part?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2009 07:26AM

That whole blanks integrity has been compromised at that point (graphite strip runs from near tip all the way to stripper). A new blank is the only way you can go.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: September 12, 2009 11:37AM

It goes from the lower break to the stripper, about 5 inches or so. No big deal either way. I may rebuild the tip end and build a heavy laker ice fishin' rod. Take the rest of the usable parts for the other rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster