I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
PSI Turncrafter Pro VS Lathe
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: September 10, 2009 02:59PM

I am going to get a mini lathe and start using my rod wrapper for...wrapping rods.

The economics of the Penn State Industries products are hard to beat and I have heard good things about them. I was curious about the following.

1. Do I really need a Variable Speed (VS) lathe if I am turning only cork or wood grips?
2. Is there anything more klugey, difficult about PSI's system for changing the belt from/to (1) of (3) pulleys?

The guys at Woodcraft showed me how easy it was to change the belts on a Rikon (which is out of my price range). Is there anything I need to worry about in regards to the PSI systems?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PSI Turncrafter Pro VS Lathe
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 03:41PM

I've got that one and was cheap by not getting the VS version. I haven't needed the VS at all - I guess if I had it, I might use it. All I turn is handles. I think a lot of the other guys get into turning pens, etc.

The few instances I have needed to change speed, it's just take off the two covers, move the belt, put covers back on. Takes about that long. Maybe with the VS you can fine tune speed?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 04:24PM

VS was not an option when I got mine. I hated changing the belts on my Turncrafter so I left it mid range for almost 4 years. I bought the VS conversion and I love it just like I preferred my smaller lathes which had variable speed already. I you want to do any buffing or polishing it is a real plus to have variable speed. Now it is not a true variable speed--O to max but in ranges like the Jet.

Date: September 10, 2009 04:34PM

Yes, Alex, you move the belt across (3) pulleys to cover ranges of speeds, then use a dial to adjust up or down within each range.

I posted these questions to make sure the thing was not too klugey. Personally, I wish the whole changing of speeds was done like it is with a poteniometer.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 04:38PM

Tony,
If you remember I bought a simple potentiometer at Harbor Freight (advertised as a router speed control) and connected it to my Renzetti - I don't see any reason you couldn't do the same with the lathe you're looking at.

Ken

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: September 10, 2009 04:41PM

Be careful! A potentiometer can cause loss of torque at low speeds and can be hard on the motor. At least this is what an electrician friend told me.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 04:47PM

These are induction motors on the turncrafter and will not respond correctly to an external vs device like a router speed adjustment. Overheating can be a problem and motor burnout. Besides you have one more item laying around in the way. These are 1/2 hp motors.

Date: September 10, 2009 04:50PM

Oh, yes, Ken I remember. I was thinking one big stinking dial from 0 - Infinity not 0 - .33* Infinity, etc.. The knob acts as potentiometer on each belt/range.

Posted by: keith fischer (---.wiktel.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 04:51PM

I have this lathe with the VS option. Personnally, I like the ability to start at the slowest speed possible for the range I am working at so that I minimize the effect of something coming loose when I first turn it on (due a setup error on my part). After I have confidence that nothing is coming loose I can turn up the speed to whatever I want.

One thing I don't like about the speed ranges available with this lathe is the lowest speed is 600 RPM. I would like to have the ability to run it at lower than that once in a while.

I'm a rookie at wood turning but I seem to change speeds a lot. I use different speeds for boring the wood blank, turing the blank, and sanding the handle. Maybe not needed on my part though.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 05:11PM

I have a VS lathe on witch I do not need to make any belt changes and I would not buy another without this feature.

Start-up, sanding (cork & wood), polishing and turning wood all require different speeds and just having to twist a knob sure beats the alternative!

Date: September 10, 2009 05:34PM

So here's a change up...

All these lathes look awfully similar. I know many are made in the same factory in China. Are the PSI products any better than Harbor Freight?

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 07:39PM

usually Harbor Freight means junk.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 07:58PM

Fred =
Agree. Normally I would not buy any power tool from them. This (so far) seems to work ok. Of course the Renzetti I have is only a 1/10 hp unit. I have a Grizzly for more serious turning work.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 08:43PM

Get the VS. For a little more you won't regret it. Being able to slow the lathe way below the 600 rpm is very helpful to me when I apply liquid finish so that it doesn't fly off. You may not finish wood now if you decide to in the future you will be happy you got it.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 08:47PM

You need to know what your needs are. And to quote an old Whole Earth Catalog, you need to be able to differentiate between what you need and what you wish you needed.
I have a Harbor Freight belt/disc sander combo, and it works well for what I use it for. Same goes for a Harbor Freight drill press, which is used exclusively for reaming cork and making clamps. I have had them for 6 years with no problems whatsoever.
Were I buying a lathe, or a piece of precision equipment, I would be looking elsewhere.

Harbor Freight sells a 10" table saw for $89 on sale. I bought a Makita for 3 times as much and have no regrets. I have a Delta 12" radial Arm saw that costs about 6 times as much as a Craftsman...and I need those tools for the work I do with them.

Don't dismiss Harbor Freight out of hand...just understand your needs. If it fits the bill, you save big. If not, go elsewhere.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:40PM

I am a newbie..this is where I purchased my lathe...variable speed with an extension. I really like the variable speed. One reason is safety as mentioned above. Start out slow and then speed up.

steve

[]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:42PM

I don't have a VS lathe and have no complaints. In my research, I found that all the small and mid-sized lathes with VS still require belt changes. With that thought in mind, I couldn't see spending the extra coin AND dealing with another place for failure.

Most likely, you would be tickled to death with the TC Pro standard. Just remember that the lathe isn't even half of the expense. Make sure to budget for mandrels, cutting tools, files, sandpaper, a good chuck, live center, etc.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2009 09:50PM

My mycro machinist lathe with a 14" between center doesn't require a belt change. I can run mine from 0 to over 2000 rpm. so I can apply my CA finish as well as polish it with a twist of a knob.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 11, 2009 12:08AM

I love the Turncrafter Pro and since I added the VS conversion kit, I love it even more. Is it necessary, maybe not, but makes life a LOT easier. I would definately get an extension bed.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: les cline (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: September 11, 2009 07:26PM

Just got my VS unit back from Penn State for a warranty issue on the control circuit board. Evidently, this model of Turncrafter (TCLProVS) has some issues with the module going out. They did repair it at no charge, but it took several weeks.

Les

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster