I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Squaring cork rings quickly?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 09, 2009 08:53PM

Shaping cork grip on a lathe is one of the more enjoyable aspects of rod building for me.

However, I don't really enjoying having to square up cork rings as I do it by hand on sand paper currently. A bit tedious. Good thing cork is soft.

Cork rings are sometimes not squared, or have a rough torn up face that won't glue smoothly so these have to be squared. How do you guys do this? Is there a small tool - power or otherwise that will do this quickly and by taking the minimum amount off?

I'm wondering of a mini disc sander would work best such as this little 4" disc sander?

[jarmactools.com]

That one cost more than I care to but I assume there are other similar units on the market that cost less? All suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Squaring cork rings quickly?
Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 09:39PM

Mo:
You might want to make one. go to the photo page and click onto equipment and tools.Go to page ( 27 ) scrool down to cool tool by Michael Joyce. Sewing machine motor with a 3m sandind disc.
You can use free hand or mound it to a base.Maybe some scrounging around could end up real cheap.
Probably could find many uses for it in the work shop.

Hope this might help you out,good luck! <<<< DON >>>>

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 09, 2009 10:06PM

Mo-
I use a disk sander about this size, with two main differences:

1. It also has a 1" vertical belt sander incorporated into the tool, and 2. It cost under $40. Harbor Freight. I have used it for years, and it works like a dream for squaring cork rings, grinding guide feet, etc. Before I got my lathe, I used it to shape cork grips (on the rod) with good results.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 09, 2009 10:08PM

POOF ... [www.mudhole.com]

Date: September 10, 2009 01:04AM

Gary, thanks. I'll have to check with Harbor Freight. Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, there's a Harbor Freight unit for $29.99. Cheap enough. It is 11,000 rpm! Does anyone know if this is too fast for cork is that OK? I read of very fast disc sanders scorching wood.

Jim, I see the mudhold rig and the other pics that I missed the first time through. Thanks. Makes sense.

Mo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 10:33AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: September 10, 2009 07:25AM

Mo Yang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is 11,000 rpm! Does anyone know if this is too fast for cork is that OK?
>
> Mo

Cutting = faster
Drilling and sanding = slower

I use 3,000 to 4,000 for cutting and 500 to 1,000 for everything else. Of course, everyone has their own methods.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2009 08:44AM

I square both cork and foam after it's been installed on the blank. The reason why.....in case the center hole is not perfectly centered to the OD of grip material. I've squared it up on a mandrel using a rasp, then installed and found that the end is perfectly straight, but it's on a bit of an angle so where it meets a reel seat or butt cap there is a tiny gap and I had to resquare it up again. I ran into the same exact problem when I would "Free square" teh end of the cork on the disk sander. TEH slightest mistake (aka: not keeping the grip 100% perpendicular to teh abrasive) resulted in a tiny gap between materials when glued up.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but if you find yourself running into the problem I outlined, at least you'll know why.

Date: September 10, 2009 10:32AM

Thanks everyone!

Billy, I hear you on the center not being aligned. That one, I just push a bit harder when gluing and it works as there's flex. Of course, I've not had any that is grossly misaligned in the center.

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2009 10:34AM by Mo Yang.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster